Copy Database Wizard for Log-shipping

• I am having a problem using the SQL Server 2000's Copy Database Wizard. After entering the source instance and the target instance I hit next and I get the following error message:

Error Code: 5510

Error Category: 5500

Source: Microsoft SQL-DMO

Description: [SQL-DMO]the name 'DATABASENAME' was not found in the Databases collection. If the name is qualified name, use [] to seperate various parts of the name, and try again

1) I have checked the databases and the DB quoted does exist ?

2) I cant understand why it errors before prompting the next screens which ask for the databases and the objects related to them ?

3) Is there an alternative to copy every object on one server to another server to prepare the other server for a resiliant partner using log-shipping ?

4) Where can I get a list of all SQL-DMO error codes ?

5) Where can I get a detail explaination of this error code with context to the DB it refers to - i.e. can i interrogate some event viewer or log file ?

• Could it be a collation issue where the SQL Server is configured to be case sensitive?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• checked server collation but they are identical: SQL_Latin1_General_SP1_CI_AS

• As an alternative, why don't you backup the database and restore it WITH NORECOVERY on the second server?  Then you can set up log shipping.  I've never had a problem doing it this way.  It might ease the frustration 🙂

• Will that copy over all Jobs, alerts, DTS packages, logins and users for each database ?

• No.  The information you just mentioned is kept in msdb and master.  All you would be restoring is the user database.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply