Copy Database Wizard fails from 2008 to 2014

• I am trying to migrate a 2008 R2 (SP1) database with one secondary data file to a separate 2014 server using the Copy Database Wizard from the 2014 server, and connect to both SQL engines on that server. It consistently fails on step 5. I'm logging to a text file and the error I see is as follows:

InnerException-->Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check related errors.

StackTrace: at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)

I created a test database on the same 2008 server, also with a secondary data file, and it migrated flawlessly using the CDW. I am using the copy object method in all cases, and not the detach/attach method.

Can anyone provide any insight into this issue? I would prefer to perform this without any downtime on the source (production) database.

Thanks.

Tom

• i think it's the secondary file. i've seen this before, and the script it creates names both files the same name, ie you'd expect dbname.mdf and dbname.ndf and dbname.ldf, but the irst and second files are both named dbname.mdf in the script generated.

create the databse in advance instead, i think, and you'd be all set.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I created a test database with a secondary data file and that migrated successfully.

I have also backed up the production database and restored it to a renamed copy on the same server, then tried moving that using both the detach/reattach method and the copy objects method and it still fails.

Can I create the database in advance on the destination and still use the Copy Database Wizard?

• Okay, I was successful on a copy of the database using the detach/reattach method. But it did require the database being able to go offline during the process which is what I wanted to avoid. But that's okay I guess.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply