Copy Data from one table to another, what is best?

• I need to move data from a large table (350GB/395,000 rows) to another table within the DB, but onto another disk.

My original table is set up like this:

USE [PD51_Data]

GO

/****** Object: Table [dbo].[SCANNEDDOCUMENTS] Script Date: 05/27/2008 11:26:36 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

SET ANSI_PADDING ON

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[SCANNEDDOCUMENTS](

[DocID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[CaseID] [int] NOT NULL,

[DocName] [varchar](50) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL,

[Doc] [image] NOT NULL,

[DocLocation] [varchar](255) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL,

[DocNotes] [text] COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL,

[TopicID] [int] NULL,

[ScannedDocumentsCheckSum] [varchar](128) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL,

PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[DocID] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY] TEXTIMAGE_ON [PRIMARY]

GO

SET ANSI_PADDING OFF

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[SCANNEDDOCUMENTS] WITH NOCHECK ADD CONSTRAINT [ISCANNEDDOCUMENTS2] FOREIGN KEY([TopicID])

REFERENCES [dbo].[TOPICS] ([TopicID])

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[SCANNEDDOCUMENTS] CHECK CONSTRAINT [ISCANNEDDOCUMENTS]

I created a second table on the SECONDARY FG like this:

USE [PD51_Data]

GO

/****** Object: Table [dbo].[SCANNEDDOCUMENTS2] Script Date: 05/27/2008 11:27:23 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

SET ANSI_PADDING ON

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[SCANNEDDOCUMENTS2](

[DocID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[CaseID] [int] NOT NULL,

[DocName] [varchar](50) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL,

[Doc] [image] NOT NULL,

[DocLocation] [varchar](255) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL,

[DocNotes] [text] COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL,

[TopicID] [int] NULL,

[ScannedDocumentsCheckSum] [varchar](128) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL

) ON [SECONDARY] TEXTIMAGE_ON [SECONDARY]

GO

SET ANSI_PADDING OFF

W/O the indexes.

My plan was to use import/export wizard to move the data over to the new table, while set to Bulk Log recovery, drop the original table, then create the indexes/constraints on the new one.

With this much data, I'm wondering what else I should do. I have to do this since I have a image data type.

Anyone have a better idea? What am I missing?

• Try using Export/Import or DTS/SSIS package.

Manoj

MCP, MCTS (GDBA/EDA)

• Yeah that is my plan, but do you see anything else I need to get done or set for the SSIS package? I have never moved such a large amount of data.

• Are you moving all data from this table? You could move the clustered index (rebuild on the new file) instead. Not sure if the image data moves, but I would hope so.

The bulk copy method might be best and fastest. Assuming you can prevent or detect changes while in process.

You can do it in stages, commit after xx rows as well to keep the logging down, perhaps allow you to pause or restart the load is an issue.

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/2/2008)

Are you moving all data from this table? You could move the clustered index (rebuild on the new file) instead. Not sure if the image data moves, but I would hope so.

The bulk copy method might be best and fastest. Assuming you can prevent or detect changes while in process.

You can do it in stages, commit after xx rows as well to keep the logging down, perhaps allow you to pause or restart the load is an issue.

No it will not move the image data. Yeah that is another issue I was thinking about, pausing the load. And I was wondering how to move data in stages.

• Take a snapshot of the Table and subscrib to another.

Manoj

MCP, MCTS (GDBA/EDA)

• Manoj (6/2/2008)

Take a snapshot of the Table and subscrib to another.

Now I am lost!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply