Copy-and-Paste SSIS Execution Monitoring with Failure-Alert Email

• Why don't you do like I did, Bill and write an article and share your knowledge?

Or do you simply prefer telling other people how stupid they are?

Besides which, tell me how to calculate the execution elapsed time of a package WITHOUT doing some "wheel reinvention?"

Is there an event for this?

I know, I know, you're not going to write my code for me, you're just going to tell me I'm stupid.

• I would love the luxury of time to write an article. I work for a very busy online company, and most of the code and utilities I put together actually belong to and are copyright to my employer as this is what they pay me to do.

I have a number of topics that I will, some day, find time to write.

I haven't looked at our SSIS logging in some time as it is there, completely non-intrusive and in fact not even directly visible to a developer. They have to go to the event handlers to see them but from my recollection our logging through the event handlers records the start, end time and duration of each object/element and a running cumulative duration. The only time we need to use this is where we have job failures or performance issues.

Where we have a failure we get a much more meaningful error message than SQL Agent reports and details of the step that actually failed.

• I think this would be a better solution if the failed container lived in the event handler tab. You could perform the fail email step, then finish logging the the SSIS package execution.

All in all, this solution, as presented, is great.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply