Converting from Oracle 9i to SQL 2005: Keys & Triggers

• Hello All -

Was not sure if this would be the appropriate place to post this thread or not, but wanted to see if anyone might have already gone through this kind of conversion?

The main concern that I am being flagged with is that of Primary/Foreign Key relationships and the Foreign Key/Triggers coming over clean into a SQL Server 2005 DMBS Schema.  Is this the biggest issue?  Only issue?  Other issues???

We are a software manufacturer that is specifically going to be only using SQL 2005 now as the main DBMS, and we are needing to convert many different customer databases from 9i to SQL 2005.

Any and all help is appreciated.  3rd party tools, languages, etc are not an obstacle.

Thanks,

Rich

• There are tools out there, visio and access are two that work.  but tables and keys aren't going to be your problem.  Triggers, procedures, sequences are were you are going to have big headaches.  Even if you find the tools to convert them, you will find that they will often not even do what they did before.  It's really ugly. 

More than that, things will be done in Oracle that make perfect sense for Oracle, but have no useful function in SQL server.   Views are very common in Oracle, but are quite rare in SQL Server.  The reason is in their strengths are different.  Functions in Oracle are actually quite rare, but the opposite is true for SQL Server.  Sequences don't exist in SQL Server because they have identity columns, but are necessary in Oracle. 

I suggest you take the opportunity of moving the databases to redesign.  Any established database has "re-work" done to it.  Concessions are made because the origional specs didn't anticipate the future needs.  Large improvements can be made by re-design.  Use it to your advantage.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply