Converting data Types with Active X transformation

• Hi there,

I'm have a simple tab delimited txt file I'm attempting to import into a sql table using DTS. However, I'm having touble copying the columns from the file to the table due to data type mismatches. The vachar columns come over fine by just copying as-is. However the integer and date column (which a simple strings in the file) are giving me a 'Type Mismatch: Cint and Type Mismatch: CDate' errors when I try to script the transform using ActiveX. Is it becuase I'm pulling from a file?

Any and all help would be MUCH appreciated,

al

Here's my script for a single column transform:

Function Main()

Dim strSessionID

strSessionID = DTSSource("Col002")

DTSDestination("SessionID")  = CInt(strSessionID) 

Main = DTSTransformStat_OK

End Function

This of course works:

Function Main()

Dim strSessionID

strSessionID = "12345"

End Function

• Instead of trying to convert the data from a string to a Date/Integer datatype during the import, you could import the file into a table with all text fields (including the date and Integer fields) then do a insert into a 2d table (set up with the correct datatypes for each field) and use the Convert or Cast function to convert the data type.  Worked for me in the past...

Diane

• You shouldn't need to have any script to transform numbers and dates. The ints should be fine with implicit conversions and there is a DateTime transformation that specifically handles importing dates.

Are you able to check all the rows in the file and make sure that those fields have valid data in them? The previous posters suggestion of loading the data into varchar fields would be your best course of action if you can't rely on the quality of the data.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Are these null values, or illegal characters?

You can try to check the values with IsDate and IsNumeric before doing CInt or CDate.

Function Main()

Dim strSessionID

strSessionID = DTSSource("Col002")

If IsNumeric(strSessionID) Then

Else

DTSDestination("SessionID")  = Null

End If

End Function

• CInt converts to a smallint, could that be the problem, if your SessionID is an int then use CLng instead of CInt.

Andy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply