convert date to string then grab parts of the string

• I'm trying to convert a date to a string then grab parts of the string to make a value but it is not working correctly

Here is my code:

select externalId1

, externalId2

, fund_name

, fund_externalId1

, award_paidAmount

, disbursement_netAmount

, disbursement_scheduledDate

, disbursement_createdOn

, '5' + SUBSTRING(disbursement_scheduledDate,4,1) + SUBSTRING(disbursement_scheduledDate,6,2)

, disbursement_modifiedOn, award_createdOn, award_modifiedOn

, case when a.disbursement_adjustedReleaseDate IS NULL then a.disbursement_scheduledDate else a.disbursement_adjustedReleaseDate END AS ScheduledDisbursementDate

from dbo.dataExtract_AwardDisbursement_View a

I'm getting this error:

Msg 8116, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Argument data type datetime is invalid for argument 1 of substring function.

• You are attempting to use a string function on a date or datetime data type.

You need to use cast or convert on the field first, then attempt the substring.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• maria.lindquist (10/24/2016)

I'm trying to convert a date to a string then grab parts of the string to make a value but it is not working correctly

Here is my code:

select externalId1

, externalId2

, fund_name

, fund_externalId1

, award_paidAmount

, disbursement_netAmount

, disbursement_scheduledDate

, disbursement_createdOn

, '5' + SUBSTRING(disbursement_scheduledDate,4,1) + SUBSTRING(disbursement_scheduledDate,6,2)

, disbursement_modifiedOn, award_createdOn, award_modifiedOn

, case when a.disbursement_adjustedReleaseDate IS NULL then a.disbursement_scheduledDate else a.disbursement_adjustedReleaseDate END AS ScheduledDisbursementDate

from dbo.dataExtract_AwardDisbursement_View a

I'm getting this error:

Msg 8116, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Argument data type datetime is invalid for argument 1 of substring function.

Care to explain what it is you are trying to accomplish?

• I'm not 100% sure what you are looking for but It would seem that DATEPART would be your friend as it appears you are trying to grab the year and month from a datetime field.

Here are some examples...

DECLARE @somedate DATETIME = GETDATE()

SELECT

@somedate AS myDate,

DATEPART(year, @somedate) AS justYear,

DATEPART(month, @somedate) AS justMonth,

'5' + CAST(DATEPART(year, @somedate) AS VARCHAR(4)) + CAST(DATEPART(month, @somedate) AS VARCHAR(2)) AS endResult

SELECT quote FROM brain WHERE original = 1
    0 rows returned

• YB really hit the nail on the head. Depending on what you're trying to do, the DATEPART function can perform quite well. It's covered in Books Online at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174420.aspx.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply