Convert a Date

• Hi Need to export a Date in this format - I've tried a number of things and can't get it into the specific format I require - please advise. Many Thanks

14-SEP-2015 or 31-MAR-2014

• The following -

CONCAT('"',DATEPART(d,ra.StartDate),'-',DATEPART(m,ra.StartDate),'-',DATEPART(year,ra.startdate),'"' ) as test,

Just goes - "11-9-2015" I need it to be "11-SEP-2015"

• Have you tried CONVERT? Use REPLACE as well if you need to change spaces into hypens, and UPPER if the whole month portion needs to be in capitals.

John

• Yeah tried to convert to varchar and it didn't do anything different.

• TSQL Tryer (1/25/2016)

Hi Need to export a Date in this format - I've tried a number of things and can't get it into the specific format I require - please advise. Many Thanks

14-SEP-2015 or 31-MAR-2014

Try something like this

select replace(convert(varchar(50),getdate(),106), ' ', '-')

• Quick suggestion

๐Ÿ˜Ž

DECLARE @TD DATETIME = GETDATE();

SELECT CONCAT(DAY(@TD),CHAR(45),SUBSTRING(UPPER(DATENAME(MONTH,@TD)),1,3),CHAR(45), YEAR(@TD));

• Another option:

SELECT UPPER( REPLACE( CONVERT(char(11), GETDATE(), 106), ' ', '-'))

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Thanks everyone - between you all you got me to where I want to be.

• SQL Server 2012 supports the FORMAT function:

select format(GETDATE(), 'dd-MMM-YYYY')

-- Gianluca Sartori

• spaghettidba (1/25/2016)

SQL Server 2012 supports the FORMAT function:

Gianluca, don't use the format function, it has terrible performance.

๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Eirikur Eiriksson (1/25/2016)

spaghettidba (1/25/2016)

๐Ÿ˜Ž

It is a CLR function, so there's a startup cost and it performs slower than native functions.

It has the advantage of being simple and easy to understand in your code.

If I'm worrying about the performance of a function I use to format my output, it must be something that really runs like hell on the rest of the execution (reading data from tables) or returns a huge amount of rows. Most of the time it is not so.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Luis Cazares (1/25/2016)

Another option:

SELECT UPPER( REPLACE( CONVERT(char(11), GETDATE(), 106), ' ', '-'))

Be carefull with dates, very often the language or the regional settings are important.

For the solution of Luis (our Italian Plumber) :

set language italian

SELECT UPPER( REPLACE( CONVERT(char(11), GETDATE(), 106), ' ', '-')) , 'Which Month ?'

This would result in :

L'impostazione della lingua รจ stata sostituita con Italiano.

----------------------------------- -------------

25-GEN-2016 Which Month ?

(1 row(s) affected)

Assuming the the language and regional settings are always the same can lead to problems.

Ben

• spaghettidba (1/25/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (1/25/2016)

spaghettidba (1/25/2016)

๐Ÿ˜Ž

It is a CLR function, so there's a startup cost and it performs slower than native functions.

If I'm worrying about the performance of a function I use to format my output, it must be something that really runs like hell on the rest of the execution (reading data from tables) or returns a huge amount of rows. Most of the time it is not so.

Both I and Jeff Moden have posted examples showing the problem with the format function, 40-50 times slower than alternatives in most cases.

๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Eirikur Eiriksson (1/25/2016)

spaghettidba (1/25/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (1/25/2016)

spaghettidba (1/25/2016)

๐Ÿ˜Ž

Both I and Jeff Moden have posted examples showing the problem with the format function, 40-50 times slower than alternatives in most cases.

๐Ÿ˜Ž

No doubt about that.

My point is: does it really matter when I'm formatting 30 or even 100 dates?

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Certainly Ben, language settings can be a problem. However, the problem often relies on keeping the default (us_english) rather than setting a foreign and unexpected language.

The code might need changes with languages that don't use 3 letter short month names like French, Bulgarian, Estonian, Finnish, etc.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply