Convert 2000 (32 bit) to 2005 (64 bit)

• Hi.

I wonder if it is possible to use the step-by-step method backup/recovery to upgrade the database from 2000 to 2005 and at the same time convert between 32 and 64 bit.

Anyone?

Rgds

Kjell Ove

• skarsbo (12/3/2007)

Hi.

I wonder if it is possible to use the step-by-step method backup/recovery to upgrade the database from 2000 to 2005 and at the same time convert between 32 and 64 bit.

Anyone?

Rgds

Kjell Ove

The on-disk format of files is the same for both the 32 and 64 bit versions of SQL Server, so backup/restore should behave the same way on 32 and 64 bit.

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

• I believe the major difference between 32 bit and 64 bit is hardware related. And the only reason you need a different version of SQL for the 64 bit is so you can have software that takes advantage of the hardware configuration. So you should be fine. Though, I would do this procedure first on a Test box just to be sure. @=)

Let us know, though, if you run into anything unexpected. We would all be interested if there are factors no one has taken into consideration.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Don't forget that when you restore a SQL 2000 database on 2005 you have to go and rebuild all the statistics, or your indexes don't get used (or is that just for detach/attach).

• Am I right in thinking your going from SS 2000 (32 bit) to SS 2005 (64 bit)?

Please dont tell me your on Itanium 2's and you need to connect to Oracle. If so i would stongly suggest a side by side upgrade as you will find it very hard to extract your data from Oracle.

If your chips are x86 then you should be ok. As everyone else would suggest run the upgrade advisor first and try and combat as many issues as possible before you do anything.

• The main step in your case is upgrade to 2005 version of database. Once upgraded cannot be simple restored/attached.... on SQL 2000 version. Only way back is one of the export/import methods.

Good point to start is http://www.microsoft.com/sql/solutions/upgrade/default.mspx

and Tecnical Reference Guide

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3d5e96d9-0074-46c4-bd4f-c3eb2abf4b66&DisplayLang=en

rgds

Sinisa

• We did this exact thing in September. I would advise you to rebuild your indexes and update your statistics after you move your dbs to the new SQL2005/64bit instance.

Also, we use a vendor built application, and we found that there was a big problem with their query plans constently recompiling. It was maxing out the CPUs. We had to have them change the schema for all the SPs to correct this (I think they have to run as DBO). I don't if this applies to you.

• Hi.

Thanks for all the answers.

First of all, it is the AMD 64 bit solution we are running.

also, the database is upgraded to another server, so I simply backed up the existing one, created a new databasen on the 64 bit environment with the same name and did a restore, with the overwrite option set from the old backupset to the new database.

Changed the compatible parameter, rebuilt indexes and gathered statistics.

So, now the solution is ready for testing.

Once finished, I will let you know the outcome.

Best rgds

Kjell Ove

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply