Controlled Data Import

• I have a situation where I need to control the number of records imported into a non SQL Server DBMS at a time.  Is there a way to throttle back the number of records inserted at any given time?  For example insert in 10,000 row chuncks?

Thanks in advance.

• I suppose you tried to set the "max ... commit size" property in the advanced editor of your data destination.

Sorry, but I cannot check whether this is available for non SQL-Server destinations, as I am working here for a client where I don't have access to such databases.

Michael

• you can use BCP for this.

Mark B

• Since this is a forum dedicated to SSIS, I would suggest that you either use the Bulk Insert Task or the Data Flow Task components in SSIS, depending on your particular source and destination data sources.

• Let me provide a few more details...

I need to Move data from a SQL 2005 Datawarehouse to a Pervasive.  Pervasive is a flat file database system and falls flat on it's face under a heavy insert/delete load.  I was hoping SSIS would have an option to throttle back adjust the batch size when performing the insert step.

• Importing/exporting data from/to a flat file is common; appending data to a flat file isn't. To my knowledge there is no SSIS component that would do batch insert to a flat file. You can, however, code your own script to perform this batch process using the FileSystemObject.

BCP would overwrite the contents of the file, which is not what you want; otherwise, it would be ideal.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply