Continuous Monitoring

• Which is the best method to monitor sqlserver 2000 & sqlserver 2005 instances for the following ?

1.Availability of SQL Server Database Engine & SQL Server Agent

2.Space issues

3.Problems in Backup

4.Monitoring Mirroring

5.Cluster

6.Monitor Logshipping

7.Replication.

There are some restrictions such that we could not install any product in the client's server.

Regards,

R.Prakash

Kindest Regards,

R

• Hello Prakash,

You can monitor the required components in different ways. It would be very useful if you can initiate alerts sent to you for the components to be monitored. A third party tool like SQL Diagnostic Manager (I'm not marketing 🙂 ) will give a broader picture of what is happening on your SQL boxes. You can write your own SQL statements and make them as a job to insert data in to a base table which can later be queried upon to prepare reports etc. MOM also can be used but it should be configured properly.

Hope some peers here can answer in a more practical way.

This is the general idea I would like to present in a nut shell.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Lucky

• For some of your monitoring you can set SQL Mail to send you alert in jobs and for others you can find the SQL scripts to monitor it. Search in google for your respective scripts.

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• We used a tool called HP Open view in one of my previous companies...neat software and nearly monitors everything.

In my current company we use a tool called Argent for alerting

• You can also use DMV's for getting the required information.

Check out BOL for more info on DMV.

"Keep Trying"

• A company called IDERA has a SQL Monitoring product that will alert you to most of the issues you want to monitor in your list.

Paul

• We use Idera tools & like them. Also, the new version of WhatsUpGold can monitor all types of things on your server. We're using it quite extensively now. http://www.whatsupgold.com/

• I noticed a couple folks mentioned Idera SQL Diagnostic Manager, so I will third their posts. We just began to use it so I'm trying to figure out how to solve some of the immediate critical alerts such as 'SQL Server Data used is 100%' and 'OS memory used is 100%'. This tool does an excellent job of identifying problems to a granular level, but I have a learning curve to get around figuring out how to resolve the issues.

Any advice from users of SQLdm would be appreciated...any online resources to use to research alerts? I haven't found any yet...

• at the end of the day you're best off probably writing much of your own stuff. I will give a plug for diagnostic manager, which I use, but essentially you'll probably have less impact writing your own , tools such as openview, tivoli and such run multiple agents and drain resource , bmc patrol and tivoli are especially bad at paging and io.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply