Continuing career with SQL

• Yup, because companies often won't hire DBAs with 0 experience (and those that do may well be companies you don't want to work for). They'll hire devs with 0 experience though.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Basically, yes. As a DBA you have the keys to the kingdom. With no experience they most likely won't give them to you. The only way I see getting a Jr DBA position with no experience would be a large corporation with a large DBA staff willing to train a newbie.

• Fortunately there is a fair amount of crossover knowledge and experience between SQL development and administration. How much cross over depends on a combination of factors. The job: smaller shops will ask you to do a larger variety of tasks but there is tends to be less variety of work in general, and larger shops tend to have a wider variety of work in general and may be willing to give you some of the easier tasks as training. And you: how enthusiastic are you about learning, do you volunteer for the lower end tasks that will help you to build and broaden your experience etc. I was a developer for a number of years (more than 10) before switching over administration and was able to step in immediately as a mid to senior level administrator.

Kenneth FisherI was once offered a wizards hat but it got in the way of my dunce cap.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]For better answers on performance questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/[/url]Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com[/url]

• Ok...so basiclly i have to study for sql developer .

my ecp with queries is in sql 2000 and basic 2005.

what will u prefer me to study and which book too?

with knowledge i want to get certficat since.im out of feild for 3 yrs and want to come back in db .

please reffer me books as per my past knowledge and certification too.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply