Constraint conundrum

• Hi.

Is there an elegant way of defining a constraint to limit a NUMERIC(3,1) field to values between 0 and 10 in .5 increments thats not

CHECK ([field_Name] IN (0,.5,1,1.5,2,2.5,3,3.5,4,4.5,5,5.5,6,6.5,7,7.5,8,8.5,9,9.5,10)

• Michael (3/26/2009)

Hi.

Is there an elegant way of defining a constraint to limit a NUMERIC(3,1) field to values between 0 and 10 in .5 increments thats not

CHECK ([field_Name] IN (0,.5,1,1.5,2,2.5,3,3.5,4,4.5,5,5.5,6,6.5,7,7.5,8,8.5,9,9.5,10)

Hi Michael Try ...

ALTER TABLE TestName

ADD CONSTRAINT ValueInRange CHECK

( (field_Name >= 0) AND

(field_Name <= 10) AND

(

((field_Name - Cast(field_Name AS INT)) = 0.0)

OR

((field_Name - Cast(field_Name AS INT)) = 0.5)))

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

• That's kind of elegance I was thinking of 😛

Thank you!

• Your welcome, CAST(Field_Value as INT) will round down so it works.

But if your users enter a value that is two decimal places then this idea has a small glitch. Because the value gets rounded up by the Decimal field.

DECLARE @t decimal(3,1)

SET @t = 65.95

SELECT @t

SELECT CAST(@t as int)

SET @t = 65.94

SELECT @t

SELECT CAST(@t as int)

You can notice the affect in these .. first value gets automatically rounded up to 66 so cast returns 66, second value doesn't get round up so both decimal and cast return 65.

Thanks.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

• Ooh. Good point to note. Thanks.

• Here's an alternative for the check constraint

[font="Courier New"]ALTER TABLE TestName

ADD CONSTRAINT ValueInRange CHECK (

(field_Name BETWEEN 0.0 AND 10.0) AND

(field_Name % 0.5 = 0.0)

)[/font]

• Instead of casting as an Integer, take a look at the Floor function in Books Online.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Hi Andrew.

Thanks for this.

I actually came across this solution a few hrs ago on my own. Just hadn't gotten back here to document it for completeness.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply