Considering Other Views

• The editorial makes a good point. I don't mind putting on the reading glasses when I sit down at my computer, but it's ridiculous to me to have to do that to look at my watch, or any device I'm using when I'm out and about.  The glasses just aren't going to be nearby most of the time.
    The opposite problem happens too often as well. I'll encounter applications obviously meant for a small screen, but I'm using them on a larger screen.  The text is huge and quite readable, but much useful information is left out to save space or the text itself is clipped because the letters don't all fit so I don't see full names or other important information.

• It's not just size & resolution that matter. A few years back our department started using a WinForms product for development and, if so configured, it could allow the user to select their own colour scheme. The powers that be wanted this feature disabled so that all internal applications would be recognisable by the fact that they used the "corporate" colour scheme. I happened to have a friend with Irlen syndrome; one of the possible effects of this is that certain combinations of background/foreground colour are unreadable or extremely tiring to read (including black on white). I pointed out that our accessibility criteria meant we should allow users to pick a scheme that works for them.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply