Connectivity to Oracle 12.2 instance via OLE DB ?

• I installed Oracle 12 on Windows 10 in  all possible ways/configurations, including the defaults.

I installed Oracle Client, Instant Client, and ODAC - in all possible permutations of each of these 3.

Still no way to connect via OLE DB (from Excel, SSIS, SSRS, -..anything). No luck.

Using the correct name from TNSNames and all. or IP.  same problem: when entering info to OLEDB connection prompt, getting error 'Server Name cannot be found.'.

I went through 1000 forums posts, tried 1000 things. No connection.

Apparently, there is something basic, fundamental, that I may not know or not aware of.  I also reinstalled Oracle instances about 20 times. tried 12, 19,  other versions...   still same problem.

Is there still hope for me ?

Likes to play Chess

• first - did you install the 32 bit version of the client

second - did you setup a tns name entry for it

third - if you do "tnsping oraclesid" does it work or does it fail?

fourth - what oledb client are you selecting on your connection?

1. I believe it was 64 bit  Should it be 32?...
    2. TNSNames file has an entry for server named ORCL, I did not manually set up anything additional . Should I?
    3. TNSPING works fine.
    4. OLE DB PROVIDER FOR ORACLE.

Likes to play Chess

• to "develop" the SSIS package you need 32bit versions of the clients as Visual Studio is a 32 bit application.

you can have both 32 and 64 bit versions of the client installed - but you will either need to setup a global TNS_ADMIN entry or maintain  both tnsnames.ora files in each client folder

once you install the correct driver (and make sure that during the installation you select the odbc/oledb parts - not installed by default) you should see "oracle provider for OLE DB" as an available option when adding a new connection. (not the Microsoft one!!)

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply