Connectivity problem in WORKGROUP

• I am having problems connecting to an instance of SQL Server 2000 in a windows Workgroup.  I have 2 machines in a workgroup connected via a switch.  One machine has SQL Server 2000 and the other has an application that needs to connect to SQL Server.  I have tried using ODBC and osql to connect to SQL Server and each time I get an error stating that the SQL Server machine does not exist or access is denied.

The machine does not exist:  I ran osql -L and it is able to find my SQL box.  When using ODBC, the SQL box appears in the servers dropdown box.  I can ping the SQL box from my application server.  With this in mind, I am confident that my application server can see my SQL box OK.  Also, outside of SQL Server, I am able to browse through shared folders on my application server from the SQL box. 

Access Denied:  When trying to connect, I am using SQL Server authentication.  I know that I am using the correct username/password.  I have tried this with multiple accounts and none connect.  I was able to use my account and connect from the SQL box using ODBC. 

Apparently, I am missing something and I have not had to work outside a domain in many moons.  Any thoughts?

John Rowan

======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• Please disregard my question.......Windows XP sp2 firewall was blocking the necessary ports.

John Rowan

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• And You had added the Sqlserver.exe and the PORT under Exception in your firewall..

Thanks,

-Nirmal

SQL Server DBA/Oracle DBA/Six Sigma Certified Professional

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply