Connectivity Issue

• We just added a new SQL Server to our existing SQL environment and I am unable to connect to it from another SQL Server in Management Studio unless I specify the port number. The new server is setup to allow local and remote TCP/IP connections. I get the following error.

TITLE: Connect to Server

------------------------------

Cannot connect to "server name".

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 10061)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=10061&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

• Dear SQL guy,

Your issue is described vaguley. Please provide the 2 enviornments 2000 or 2005 or is both the same?

Do you have a link account set up? How are you trying to connect sql login ? Win Authentication? If you do have a link account set up how is it set up?

I will try my best to try to help provided we get more details.

Thanks,

• reshadit (2/19/2008)

Dear SQL guy,

Your issue is described vaguley. Please provide the 2 enviornments 2000 or 2005 or is both the same?

Do you have a link account set up? How are you trying to connect sql login ? Win Authentication? If you do have a link account set up how is it set up?

I will try my best to try to help provided we get more details.

Thanks,

It is a 2005 environment in an active directory domain. I'm not sure what a link account is. I'm using Windows Authentication. Authentication seems to be working because I'm able to connect successfully when I specify the port(servername,port) in the Management Studio. It's when I don't specify the port that I get the error.

• So what port are you connecting on? And what port is SQL Server listening on?

From memory, if SQL Server is configured to listen on a different port (i.e. not 1433) & the SQL Browser service isn't running, SSMS won't see the SQL instance unlss you specify the port when you create the connection.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Scott Duncan

MARCUS. Why dost thou laugh? It fits not with this hour.
    TITUS. Why, I have not another tear to shed;
    --Titus Andronicus, William Shakespeare

• Scott Duncan (2/19/2008)

So what port are you connecting on? And what port is SQL Server listening on?

From memory, if SQL Server is configured to listen on a different port (i.e. not 1433) & the SQL Browser service isn't running, SSMS won't see the SQL instance unlss you specify the port when you create the connection.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I do have the browser service running and it is configured to use port 2433.

• Try giving port no in sql server configuration manager..

• Hi

Seems ur SQL is configured to listen to a particular port. In this case you will have to sepcify the port to connect to the SQL Instance. Or you can specify SQL to use dynamic ports. There are some considertions for this . Check out the BOL.

"Keep Trying"

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply