Connectivity error on a 2K named instance installed after a 2K8 install

• Our database architect installed 2 named SQL 2000 instances and 1 named 2008 instance on a server running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition. All instances are working fine and I can connect to them locally and remotely with no problems.

After he was done, I installed another SQL 2000 named instance and applied SP4. I can connect to this new instance locally without issue. When I try to connect remotely with SSMS, I have to enter the port number (Server\Instance Name, Port Number) in order to connect or else I get the "A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while..."

I can connect with the IP and port number and I can connect with the servername/instance name and port. I can ping the server's IP from my machine as well.

I've restarted the SQL Browser service and that didn't make a difference. I rebooted the server this morning and that didn't change things either.

I'm a bit confused as to why I'm getting this error. The other 2K instances are working fine and I can connect to them remotely.

I did notice the other instances have port numbers in the 1200's and the port number on the troublesome instance is 32-something. This server is also in another domain than my local machine, but that shouldn't matter since I can get to the other instances (I think).

Is there a known issue installing 2K after 2K8?

Anyway, your thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks!

• Have you checked the settings for the SQL service in the SQL Server Configuration Manager, specifically the 'SQL Server Network Configuration' for your problem instance. There is a 'Hide Instance' option in there.

• Thanks for the suggestion, Paul, but nothing appears to be marked hidden.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply