Connection Timeouts

• Hello all,

I am having a small but frustrating problem with an application that accesses a database on SQL Server 7.0 over a LAN. There are five workstations that run the application. Three work fine. Two have intermittent connection problems with about a 90% failure rate, returning an "ODBC -- call failed. (error number 3146)" It also tells me it is a ODBC SQL server Driver Timeout expired.

As a newcomer to SQL Server can someone point me in the right direction as to what settings to check. Are the version of SQl Server driver for ODBC important? If so what version should we be running and can you run conflicting versions?

Cheers

• What type of workstations? For most newer systems, MS has gone to the MDAC which includes OLEDB rather than ODBC. Hoever, my v6.5 NT4 systems could connect to SQL 7 easily.

Are these simple selects? What about if you "manually" connect from a workstation using osql, does it work?

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• The workstations are NT4. The SQL ODBC Driver on the two workstations having problems is version 3.70.08.20 which I think comes from MDAC 2.6(?). The ODBC SQL Driver on the server that hosts SQL Server is version 3.70.6.90. I must stress that I am a bit of a novice when it comes to this and am feeling my way, learning as I go. I suspect that the driver on the server should be equal to or more advanced than that on the workstation. The wo workstations in question cannot even (or very rarely) seem to be able to connect to the database, let alone make any operations on it.

Any help appreciated, great site by the way, hope to make regular use of it.

Cheers - Adam Shaw

• Adam,

Is the server NT? I don't think that there is a problem with the revisions being slightly off unless you are trying to make ADO calls (like MDX) that are not supported on the server.

I suspect that there is a problem with the workstations as the MDAC since 2.5 hasbeen extremely stable and I have almost no problems connecting.

I assume everything is the same LAN/Nt domain, correct?

I'd suggest a reinstall, or perhaps update of MDAC on one of hte workstations to see what happens.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• I agree with Steve, reinstalling MDAC can't hurt, I'd apply the latest (2.6). In addition, you need to look at what statement is failing - do you get the same failure rate if you run it from Query Analyzer on that workstation?

Andy

Andy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply