Connection Timeout Expired - (pre-login handshake acknowledgement)

• Hi All,

We are facing connection timeout error in our application. Below is the error details

Connection Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake acknowledgement.
    This could be because the pre-login handshake failed or the server was unable to respond back in time.
     The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=24307; handshake=0;

Some background of how the error gets generated
    The application invokes some stored procedures parallel in multiple threads. Now we do have few successful runs. But of that 70% cases are having Connection Time out failure. In few cases we have normal Time out error (which is acceptable as we have some command timeout set for that)

Please let me know where should i start investigating and how to fix the issue.

Thanks
    Sam

• sam 55243 - Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:21 AM

Hi All,

We are facing connection timeout error in our application. Below is the error details

Connection Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake acknowledgement.
    This could be because the pre-login handshake failed or the server was unable to respond back in time.
     The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=24307; handshake=0;

Some background of how the error gets generated
    The application invokes some stored procedures parallel in multiple threads. Now we do have few successful runs. But of that 70% cases are having Connection Time out failure. In few cases we have normal Time out error (which is acceptable as we have some command timeout set for that)

Please let me know where should i start investigating and how to fix the issue.

Thanks
    Sam

Please help me to fix this issue.. Can anyone let know where to start troubleshoot.
    Can't find anything from the error log on the database at-least.

• Check the windows event logs to see if you are resource constrained anywhere.
    Check the TCP/IP protocol for the server in Configuration Manager - Make sure IP4 and IP6 are both enabled.
    If the app can change the connection string, have it try connecting by IP.
    And then it could just be how the app is managing the connection as well and nothing to do with SQL Server.

Sue

• We had a situation where our sql server, a vm, went down with the ESX host it was on.

The vm rebooted, but TCP 1433 would not let us connect with the posted error.

We confirmed that all TCP settings were as intended in SQL Server Configuration, but ultimately the resolution was to change the IP of the server. Weird right?

My only thought is that something at the VMWare level was causing traffic to be dropped, but had no view into that platform as it was in the 'cloud.'

I don't know if is useful, but I hope someday it helps someone else.

Other notes are that SQL started fine, nothing in error log, with agent disabled we could access sql via pipes and ups 1434.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply