connection problem

• I have 2 clusters on 3 nodes. All servers are in my internal LAN. All servers are W2k8 with SQL2k8. Everything seems to work, except for connections from my DMZ.

From the internal LAN I'm able to connect to the clusters by name, but not by IP address (the virtual IP address).

From my DMZ I'm unable to connect by the IP address.

I've enabled TCP/IP for the Network protocols for each instance of SQL.

My firewall is configured to permit the traffic. We've seen the attempted connectivity go through it.

I used a sniffer to capture network traffic on the server hosting one of the clusters. Then I issued a telent ipaddr 1433 command from one of the servers in my DMZ. I see the traffic coming in to the server hosting one of the clusters, but the response is failed to connect. I now know that the problem is with SQL or networking on the SQL hosts.

I don't see any errors, alerts or warnings in the Event logs.

Windows Firewall is turned off, for now.

I'm lost on this one. Everything appears to be correct, but obviously something is amiss.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

BigSam

• Hi

In summary

1 -telnet from SQL host node(1) to VIP

2- telnet from SQL host to cluster name

3-check for host entries etc.

4-telnet from DMZ client to SQL (1433) .

You saying 4 is the only one failing ?, and you have allowed the DMZ through firewall for the specific connection.

I'd say it wouldn't hurt to check if SQL browser is running but it is probably running since you could do test 1.

You are connection to the VIP from the DMZ correct?

You verified that tcip is enabled in your protocalls for SQL?

Cheers

Jannie

• Sorry for my tardy response, I've been on vacation.

I cannot connect from the DMZ, because that requires an IP address for the connection.

From inside my LAN I can connect via named pipes but not by IP address.

Network connections are enabled.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply