Connection is busy with results from another hstmt

• I have an ASP app that opens 7 different recordsets on one connection. They're all various combinations of columns from tables in the same db. The app originally used 7 different SQL Select statements embedded in the code and used in the rs.open method. Some were exceedingly complex (8-10 lines of SQL code) so I thought to replace them with calls to stored procedures with parms. I'm still using rs objects, but using cmd objects in the rs.Open. I keep getting the above error on about the third or fourth recordset I open.

All the cursors on the rs.Open's are set to OpenStatic, LockOptimistic. Any ideas why I'm getting this error?

Example of the code. There are already 3 recordsets open when I get here. It fails on the rsRC.Open call:

set cmdTimeSheet = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")

cmdTimeSheet.ActiveConnection = dbconn

set rsTimeSheet = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

cmdTimeSheet.CommandText = "Exec sp_timesheet_rsTimeSheet " & "'" & strreqdate & "' , '" & struser & "' ,'" & strSortBy & "'"

rsTimeSheet.Open cmdTimeSheet, ,3, 3

set cmdRC = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")

cmdRC.ActiveConnection = dbconn

set rsRC = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

cmdRC.CommandText = "Exec sp_timesheet_rowcount "& "'" & strreqdate & "' , '" & struser & "'"

rsRC.Open cmdRC, , 3, 3

• Try using more than one connection object. The same connection cannot start the next query with pending results in MS SQL Server - we run into this alot with various apps.

Jeff

• But then how do I know when the query is complete? I've gotten the code to work so that all the recordsets are established, but when I reference a field in a row in one of the recordsets I get the above error.

Even if I switch to multiple connections aren't I going to have problems when I get to referencing the results if one of the querys is incomplete?

• I've changed the app to use a separate Connection object for each Recordset. This seems to have corrected the problem.

• hi!

you shouldn't create a connection for each recordset as each connection consumes resources on your db server (don't forget to think of your webapp serving multiple requests of such a kind!

concerning your problem: use client side cursors (from ado 2.7 on you'll have to adjust your connection properites (CursorLocation) to be "adUseClient" - 3).

try to keep your code simple, like follows:

dim conn

dim rs1, rs2, rs3

set conn = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

conn.CurosorLocation = 3 ' adUseClient

conn.Open ...

set rs1 = conn.Execute("select * from ...")

set rs2 = conn.Execute(...)

set rs3 = conn.Execute(...)

set rs1 = nothing ' Don't the hell forget this!!!

set rs2 = nothing

set rs3 = nothing

set conn = nothing

best regards,

chris.

• Thanks cneuhold. That fixed it. In fact the app also seems to run faster.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply