Connecting to SQL Server 2005 from newer environment

• Hi, my first question here so please be gentle 🙂

I have been asked by a potential customer to do some SQL work on their SQL Server 2005 system, but connectivity may be an issue. I have SSMS 18 running on Windows 10 Pro on a Macbook (through Parallels) and I understand that is a non-starter.

I probably need to install an earlier version of SSMS that will talk to SQL Server 2005 (possibly SSMS 2008?) but the SSMS needs to run on may Windows 10 system.

Does anyone know if SSMS 2008 will run on Windows 10 Pro, or if it is suitable to work with SQL Server 2005?

Many thanks

• You can still connect to SQL Server 2005 using SSMS 18 so you should come across any problems as far as I'm aware.

Thanks

• Yes, it should be ok. The only thing I can think of that might be an issue is that if there is any mirroring in place, sometimes it's not visible through SSMS 18. I've seen that a couple of times.

• Thank you both for your replies. It would certainly be easier if I can use SSMS 18, but I have read in a number of places that anything after SSMS 2014 won't work. I mentioned SSMS 2008 as I have a copy on an old XP machine.

• An older version may well be easier to use in this case. Try it with both if you can. I've connected to SQL 2005* with SSMS 18 so it can be done.

• the shame of it 😀
  • Connections to SQL 2005 from SSMS 18 is not officially supported, but as long as you are only using query windows it should work. If you use GUI dialogs you may run into trouble with some.

SQL 2008 is not supported on Windows 10, but I have it running on Win10 with SSMS 2008. Although, I installed with an older version of Windows 10.

[font="Times New Roman"]Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se[/font]

• I seem to run into issues from time to time with SQL agent and jobs.  In versions before 18, there would be errors thrown when I attempted to open Job Activity Monitor, for example.

It seems to have gone away with 18.3.1

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Thank you all for your comments.

The customer has now managed to move the database tables to SQL Server 2016, thereby removing the problem.

Thanks again.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply