Connecting to remote server at a different port

• Hi,

I am trying to connect to SQL Server Express 2005 which is running at port 14333 (default is 1433) but in vain. The thing is when I use ASP script to connect then it works but not using SQL Server Management Studio Express. Here is the connection string I am using in my ASP script:

Data Source=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,14333;Network Library=DBMSSOCN;Initial Catalog=myDataBase;User ID=myUsername;Password=myPassword;

By the way this ASP script is running on a separate machine while the computer on which I am running Management Studio Express is another one. I even tried configuring SQL Server Client Network Utility but didn't work. Used both Named Pipes and TCP/IP but no luck.

Could it be because I am not using it correctly? I mean I configured the Client Network Utility but how do I use it in Management Studio Express to connect to that server? I have added that server in Client Network Utility using TCP/IP but ones I go to Management Studio Express what shall I write in the field SERVER NAME? Shall I write that ALIAS that I gave in Client Network Utility or the IP of that server with or without port number?

Thanks

• Never mind it works. I gave it one last try and configured Client Network Utility and it works.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply