Connecting to named instance.

• I am trying to get SSIS up and running in my dev environment and am hitting an annoyance (vs. a show stopper).

My environment (names changed to protect the innocent):

Windows Server - DEV1

Default Instance(SQL 2000)

Named Instance(SQL 2005) - DEV1\INST2

I have installed Integration Services (and SP2+) and changed the ini file - MsDtsSrvr.ini.xml as follows (FYI - I replace the <'s with *'s so that it would appear in the code box)

*Folder xsi:type="SqlServerFolder">

*Name>MSDB*/Name>

*ServerName>IND-DEV1\INST2*/ServerName>

*/Folder>

I have restarted Integration Services multiple times, but I still can not reference the named instance via SSMS. Instead - I can reference it by the DEV1. I have verified that it does connect to the 2005 instance (DEV1\INST2), but it is confusing because DEV1 is a SQL 2000 instance and I would like this to be correct by the time I move it to other environments. The last detail I have is that when I do try to connect - I get an error indicating:

"Invalid server name "DEV1\INST2". SSIS server does not support multi-instance, use just server name instance of "server name\instance"."

I think that I am just missing something simple - but I am out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciate!

Thanks - J

• Integration services is what it says - a service running only once on the server. So you don't have a named instance and if you have two instances of 2005 on a server eg SQLBox\Dev and SQLBox\Test then you only have one IS service which is called after the server eg SQLBox. So to access you have to click the integration services icon in the registered servers window and then register the server name. You won't see your SQL2000 instance there (as it doesn't run an IS service) just your 2005 one.

However if you follow the instructions you can set it up with two msdb stores and two package stores

one for each instance.

Hence under my SQLBox server in integration services I have

Stored Packages

FileSystemDev

FileSystemTest

MSDBDev

MSDBTest

and can store as I want.

Two links with details are:

[/url]

• That does help. Now that I see I can essentially rename the nodes that appear - that will make it clear for the developers. I knew that I was missing the obvious. I really just want to make sure that it is clear what MSDB is being used.

Thanks - J

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply