Connecting to Azure SQL Servers as admin using SSMS

• Hello,

Over 15 years of experience using traditional SQL Servers and have just commenced with an employer that only run Azure SQL Servers. It's completely thrown me. My question:

I can see the SQL Server "Server admin login" in Azure under Properties, but when I connect to the SQL Server using SSMS and and this Server admin login, I can't see any of the management tools in SSMS. The whole Management folder in SSMS is missing and items such as Server Roles are missing from the Security folder in SSMS.

Thanks

• Azure SQL Database is a PaaS offering, as such you hand off management to Microsoft.

Certain functionality for Azure SQL DB must be done in the portal, others must be done in T-SQL script.

Depending what you want you will be best googling e.g "How to see the SQL Error Log in Azure SQL Database"

But yeah Azure SQL Database is managed by MSFT, so they restrict what you can/cannot do in the tooling.

• Focus on the fact that what you're looking at are databases. Ignore the concept of a server. Yeah, it's still there, but it's radically easier to make the shift if you just forget that such a thing as a server exists. Then, think about what you do, manage, access, etc., within a database. Well, that's what you get with Azure SQL Database.

Focus on internals. Focus on HA & DR (Microsoft supplies a lot, but for some scenarios, you'll need to pay more to set up additional functionality). Statistics maintenance. Monitoring using DMVs, Query Store and Extended Events (Trace is dead, long live Extended Events). Oh, and practice restores. Microsoft manages your backups, but it's on you to get them online.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Ah, ok. Thanks for the response.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply