Connecting to a SQL Server 7.0 across 2 networks

• We have 2 networks that are joined for the purpose of E-Mail. For the first time I am trying to connect from the remote network to a SQL 7.0 database. As a starting point I am trying to connect by generating an ODBC on one of the remote machines. I can see the server but the connection fails. The Cisco Engineer is convinced the router is not the problem. Any Suggestions??

Thanks

Gerry Mayfield

• What is the error message you get?

It may be your netlibrarys not matching up between the two machines.

For instance if the error message contains dbmssocn it means your pc is trying to connect via sockets where you may be using named pipes etc.

If this is the problem you could always setup an entry in the 'client network utilities' so that a set library is used for connecting to that one server.

Steven

• Verify connectivity before you start with SQL. Can you ping the remote machine successfully?

Andy

• Yes, I can ping the server by name and IP address (I am using Hosts for name resolution). The machine picks up e-mail across the router.

Gerry

• You might try ODBCPing (in the BINN folder I think). If that fails, I'd get your router guy to check ports 1433 and 1434 on the router.

Andy

• I have tried that and I get:

Could not open connection to sql server

sql state: 080001 native error 2

info.message[microsoft][odbc sql server driver][named pipes]access denied

sql state: 080001 native error 5

info.message[microsoft][odbc sql server driver][named pipes]ConnectionOpen (createfile())

Should I be using SQL Client or something (I haven't in the past)

Many Thanks

Gerry

• Im guessing you're using TCPIP for your primary network protocol - you need to remove Named Pipes (or set it lower in the protocol order) on both machines, you want to use force SQL to connect using TCPIP.

Andy

• Hi

Try looking at the settings for the trusted domain,actual permissions for the user that you are using in the ODBC connection. Check permissions at both domains. When you create your ODBC connection -click on client connectivity and check that it is TCP/IP and dynamcial determine port is ticked. If you have a sql Server in each Domain then also try adding/registering the SQLserver from one domain to the other domain via SQL using sa.

• In line with that, be sure you have mixed security mode selected.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply