Connecting to a Share on another server

• My problem is essentially the same or similar to the Question of the day from yesterday. I am trying to use xp_cmdshell and xp_fileexist to identify the existence of a file on a share drive on the network and copy it to a local drive to then be imported via DTS.

When I use either (xp_cmdshell or xp_fileexit) I can not see the file on the share drive. When I am on the SQLServer itself I can see the file in the share drive while browsing the network or exploring My Computer. We are running SQLSERVER 7.0 on WIN 2000 and trying to read the file from a drive shared with a UNISYS mainframe running the WINNT compatible Clearpath software services. When I run this against another WIN 2000 server on the network it seems to work fine. I believe the issue is around security and access to the share but I do not know how to resolve it. The answer to yesterdays Question was a little vague in how to rectify the situation regarding local services and network permissions.

• Does the service log on using system account?

I had a similiar problem but between w2k machines.

Created a domain account called SQLSVC and SQL uses that to logon.

The share on the remote machine has read/write for that user. Works fine.

Not sure about the software you using. Never tried it.

Cheers,

Crispin

Cheers,CrispinI can't die, there are too many people who still have to meet me!It's not a bug, SQL just misunderstood me!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply