Connecting remote sqlserver 2K via EM problem

• I am trying to connect to remote sqlserver 2000 database via enterprise manager and I can register the server but it only lets me go to where I can see the database folder. I can't see the contents of it.it just sits there and hangs up. I am able to connect using Query analyser. Do anyone know exactly what could be causing this problem ?

• Are you using the same login for both? EM is slower than QA, so if it's a slow connection you may just have to wait on it.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Using the same login for both and connection is ok.

-sntiwary

• On your remote Server .. try to re-Install the "Client Tools" again .. so your EM may work

I hope this help u.

Alamir Mohamed

Alamir_mohamed@yahoo.com

Alamir Mohamed
    Alamir_mohamed@yahoo.com

• Are you connecting via dialup? In any case, you would assume EM would only need to query sysdatabases to return the list of databases. However, if you run profiler when you expand the databases folder, you will see it gathers a lot of other information to send back to EM. I would recommend only using QA from remote locations. If you need to use EM for the remote server, can you Remote Desktop into a machine local to the remote server.

Hope this helps.

• Also, check if the auto-close option is set for databases on the remote server. If it is, EM will appear to hang while it opens all the databases prior to listing them.

Hope this helps

Phill Carter

--------------------

Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• I feel such a fool! I had this problem (worked on everyone else's computer but not mine) - turns out that the problem was that I was running an ODBC SQL trace. Turned this off (it had produced a sql.log file of 1/2 a gig) and EM worked fine!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply