Confused with Instances ....

• Hello,

Firstly I'll explain that I am a developer, not a DBA, so that might explain part of my ignorance !

I decided to instal SQL2008 on my personal computer (as opposed to the works one) and hence found myself in unknown terratory as at work we have a lovely DBA who does all this stuf ffor us.

Doing this late at night and half alseep, for some reason I cant remember, I know I did a reinstal at some point, but may have messed it up ?

Problem is thus ...

I go into SMS and got to connect to a database engine.

I'm being offered 2 local engines to choose from.

(A)

Object Explorer Description:(local)(SQL Server 10.50.1600 - [myComputerName]\SImonB)

Path: c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL

Name: [myComputerName]

Version: 10.50.1600.1

(B)

Object Explorer Description:[myComputerName]\SQLExpress (SQL Server 10.50.1617 - [myComputerName]\simonB)

Path: c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL

Name: [myComputername]\SQLExpress

Version: 10.50.1617.0

(B) Shows a Db of name identical to that in (A), but I cannot see any objects within.

(B) also shows nodes for 'ReportServer'

Can anyone help me understand what's going on, or what I have done ?

Many Thanks

• it looks to me like you installed a default instance of SQL 2008 R2 RTM (10.50.1600.1) and a named instance of SQL 2008 R2 Express with GDR Security Update (10.50.1617.00). Refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321185/

These two instances can coexist. You can see the differences between the editions here: http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/product-info/compare.aspx

Greg

• The SQL Server Express was installed when you did the installation of Visual studio if I am not mistaken. There are some tools/products that come with SQL Server Express.

Just make sure you use the right instance. In this case I think you want to use the Local instance.

-Roy

• Thanks for that Roy, it puts some sense to it.

Yes, I have installed VS 2008; VS 2010 C# Express & VWD Express.

The (local) version I seem to have full access to so am using that.

Just feels wierd having 2. Untidy.

But at least not a critical problem and can wait till I have time to look more into.

Thanks again.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply