Conflict between Commvault and SQL Server Backup

• I have a strange sittuation here, On one of the live server(2008 R2+SP2) we have Commvault as well as SQL Native backups enabled, below are the schedule details:

A]Commvault Backup Schedule

a)7:30PM-Full backup(daily)

b)9:00 PM – 11:00PM log backup(every 2 hours),

c)11:00PM-7:00AM-no backup at all

d)7:00 AM to 7:00PM-log backup(every 2 hours) and the cycle continues.

B]SQL Native Backup Schedule

a)11:50 PM-Full Backup(Daily)

Please hold your laugh and spare the questions as why? how? etc., It has been recently overtaken by our team.

My question is:

1)Will the SQL Native backup at 11:50 PM, break the commvault log backup chain?

2)If yes, will i be able to use Commvault log backups taken after SQL Native(Full) backup in case of point in time recovery?(ie keeping SQL Native Full backup as base and applying commvault log backups sequentially)

• Any Full backup won't break the log chain whether you take Commvault log backup or a native log backup.

• You could use COPY_ONLY in the Native backup so it doesn't set a checkpoint and risk impacting the CommVault backups.

• Full backups and log backups are completely decoupled. You shouldn't have to worry about that at all. What you do have to worry about is if you run differential backups. Those are tightly coupled to the last full backup unless you use COPY_ONLY (as was mentioned). But from what you're saying, no, you don't have any issues.

One point, I'd test a restore from these backup processes, just to be sure you can do it.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply