Configuring SQL Server Hardware.

• How do I select the right hardware configuration like memory, disk space, number of processors etc given the number of clients, size of the database. What other factors should I consider.

• There are just so many things to consider. Hard to say exaxctly what. I suggest you check thru the articles here and forums previous threads. Lots of specific questions previously. Also check out http://www.sql-server-performance.com and you hardware vendor may have some suggestion information or tools to help. Other than that tell us more about you DBs, number of clients and how the DBs are utilized. We can offer suggestions but the biggest thing is to use Performance Montior to baseline your server before production activity then give a few days and do another baseline and monitor bottlenecks like memory.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• You can also try using a Server sizing tool. You can find the Compaq one here

http://activeanswers.compaq.com/ActiveAnswers/Render/1,1027,5-6-100-225-1,00.htm

You'll need to register to download it though.

You put in the number of clients, required response time, etc... and it'll give you a server. From there it's just a matter of researching what is available for the type of server you require.

Hope this helps.

Phill

Edited by - phillcart on 05/15/2002 8:56:17 PM

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Thanks Phill. Compaq tool was useful, seems like Dell also has a similar tool for sizing. Just out of curiosity, how do they do this sizing ?

• quote:

Thanks Phill. Compaq tool was useful, seems like Dell also has a similar tool for sizing. Just out of curiosity, how do they do this sizing ?

Glad I could help.

Not exactly sure how the mechanices of it all works. It would be something along the line of X clients * Y response time = Z cpu capacity. There is also the storage options to consider. Like if you want 2TB storage, you can have server B, but not server A. The same also goes for level of redundancy you require.

Phill

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply