Configure the Database Engine to Listen on Multiple TCP Ports

• I was reading through this topic: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189310(v=sql.105).aspx

My question is wont JUST adding the new port number in IPALL filed will suffice ? Why do I have to go through creating a new end point.

My question in other words is To configure the SQL Server Database Engine to listen on an additional TCP port, should one MUST go through the process of creating a new end point.

Thanks

[font="Verdana"]
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday:-)
    [/font]

• It looks like a TCP endpoint could listen on multiple ports in SQL 2005. I suspect it will work in SQL 2008+, but have not tried it.

See TCP Endpoints section in SQL Server Endpoints: Soup to Nuts[/url]

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Minnesota - Viking (4/5/2012)

My question in other words is To configure the SQL Server Database Engine to listen on an additional TCP port, should one MUST go through the process of creating a new end point.

Yes, you should create the new endpoint.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (4/5/2012)

Minnesota - Viking (4/5/2012)

Advantages of two separate endpoints versus one listening on two ports?

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• opc.three (4/5/2012)

SQLRNNR (4/5/2012)

The article the OP referenced talks about TDS (tabular data stream) and it could be beneficial there. Otherwise, I would like to clarify and say that it depends on whether you have a need with regards to TDS. As the article states further down, you can just configure IPALL to listen on multiple ports.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (4/5/2012)

opc.three (4/5/2012)

SQLRNNR (4/5/2012)

The article the OP referenced talks about TDS (tabular data stream) and it could be beneficial there. Otherwise, I would like to clarify and say that it depends on whether you have a need with regards to TDS. As the article states further down, you can just configure IPALL to listen on multiple ports.

Thanks for the response. I went straight to TCP TDS endpoints (maybe jumped too fast) based on separate mentions of IPALL and TCP port.

--Plato

• opc.three (4/5/2012)

I suspect it will work in SQL 2008+, but have not tried it.

It's commonly used on hardware based NUMA systems 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (4/6/2012)

opc.three (4/5/2012)

I suspect it will work in SQL 2008+, but have not tried it.

It's commonly used on hardware based NUMA systems 😉

Sure, configuring additional endpoints is common when using NUMA. My comment related to how to get one endpoint to listen on multiple ports, the OPs original query. That I have not tried on 2008+, but the documentation supports it, so I suspect it will work.

--Plato

• opc.three (4/6/2012)

Sure, configuring additional endpoints is common when using NUMA.

No, commonly you would just simply add different port assignments to the TCP\IP address to target database conections to certain NUMA nodes. You go a step further by configuring multiple TCP\IP addresses\endpoints and ports.

opc.three (4/6/2012)

My comment related to how to get one endpoint to listen on multiple ports, the OPs original query. That I have not tried on 2008+, but the documentation supports it, so I suspect it will work.

That's what I was targeting, one IP multiple ports for targeting connections to specific NUMA nodes. Works just as you'd expect 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Perry Whittle (4/6/2012)

opc.three (4/6/2012)

Sure, configuring additional endpoints is common when using NUMA.

No, commonly you would just simply add different port assignments to the TCP\IP address to target database conections to certain NUMA nodes. You go a step further by configuring multiple TCP\IP addresses\endpoints and ports.

Thanks for sharing your experience. You are correct, as well, so I am not sure what we're discussing here. My statement still stands.

--Plato

• Minnesota - Viking (4/5/2012)

My question is wont JUST adding the new port number in IPALL filed will suffice ? Why do I have to go through creating a new end point.

You don't have to create the new endpoint. If all you're doing is modifying the system endpoint to listen across more ports then just use SQL server configuration manger and supply a comma delimited list of TCP ports 😉

Remember to ensure that any local or perimeter firewalls have the appropriate hole punched in them

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply