Configure Report Server Issue: Database Setup

• I know this post is a bit old, but I just wanted to say that this helped me grasshopper. The database connection was just mucked up from the get go for me. I had to generate and edit the upgrade script because it was putting part of the database name outside of the brackets. like SC[ReportServer]. After I got through that I was getting a failure on the connection string until I tried your fix. Thanks for the post!

• Just a note. The name issue is a SQL RS upgrade bug. I also had that issue. It happens when you use the default name prefixed with something else. I find it totally unacceptable that after all this time MS didn't fix this. I had NFS[ReportServer]. I changed the DB names to the default to avoid this in the future. But changing names is no small task. My understanding is the same name issue may bite you on other scripts from MS for RS.

• Cheers Grasshopper, just the job. I didn't believe that you have to change and change back to make this work, but it worked for me.

Thanks again

• Hi,

I had a similar issue and found there were two instances of report server that were being refered.

Click on 'Initialization' in the Configure Report Server screen. If you have more than one instance, remove the one you donot require and put a check mark on the one that is required. Then Click on Initialize button.

Now, go back to the Database setup, provide the credentials and click on Apply to complete the database setup.

This worked for me. Hope this helps.

Cheers..Imran

• I also came across this cryptic issue whereas when "Configure Report Server", the Database Setup Task would fail on "Setting Connection Info for Reporting Server". I reset the Credentials Type to Windows Credentials, hit Apply, failed, switched Credential Type back to Service Credentials, hit apply, still failed. Not until I put in a dummy Windows Credential and password, hit apply, it failed, reset to Service Credentials, hit apply....it Succeeded!!!

Thanks for the tip above...wanted to make sure others actually entered the dummy Windows credentials to get past it.

• It seems SSRS set some security configurations in master and msdb databases related with RSExecRole. I configure the security settings like it was in the original server in master and msdb databases and I could resolve my problem. I hope this to be useful.

See this link: http://www.bigresource.com/Tracker/Track-ms_sql-ALl4tPv0/

• Hi rolie_sd,

I am also facing the same issue. Could you please provide the link again as the link http://www.bigresource.com/Tracker/Track-ms_sql-ALl4tPv0 is not working

Thanks in advance!!!

Regards,

Ashish

rolie_sd (1/29/2010)

It seems SSRS set some security configurations in master and msdb databases related with RSExecRole. I configure the security settings like it was in the original server in master and msdb databases and I could resolve my problem. I hope this to be useful.

See this link: http://www.bigresource.com/Tracker/Track-ms_sql-ALl4tPv0/%5B/quote%5D

• This post was really helpful as I have done all the tricks specified by the MS site(s) without any result.

Is there any valid explanation for this.

My assumption is that whenever we change the security credentials for report server, it actually overwrites the existing entry. Also, as the credentials were not possible to decrypt in my case, a changing of the credentials tried to overwrite the entry but failed as proper rights could not be assigned. Again, changing the details back to the service account resolved the issue.

Chandrachurh Ghosh
    DBA – MS SQL Server
    Ericsson India Global Services Limited
    Quality is not an act, it is a habit.

• Here is a summary of activities that could be done in these type of errors -

1> If you deleted the Encryption Key and do not know what to do, and considering that you did not fiddle around with other settings, a simple restart of the Reporting Service will help you sort out the issue. It automatically creates a new encryption key.

2> If you are facing an issue while setting up the databases or the Encryption Key stating a login error, a decryption failure or Setting Connection Info for Reporting Server fails please check the following -

2i> ensure that you are using the service credentials when you use a service account for your reporting service. If the remote SQL Server instance runs as a domain user, you must specify that same domain user account for the report server connection. If yes, please change the credentials to any other account and save. It fails due to the already mentioned reason. Changing it back resolves the issue.

2ii> change the security credentials, which should overwrite the encrypted entry and in most of the cases resolve the issue

3> If you simply want to change the Encryption Key follow the following steps -

3i> Go To Surface Area Configuration -> Surface Area Configuration for Faetures -> InstanceName (Default MSSQLSERVER) -> Reporting Services -> Enable Web Service and HTTP Access -> Uncheck

3ii> Either a) go to the reporting services configuration manager -> reporting services instance -> encryption keys page -> change

or b) run rskeymgmt -s from the command utility

3iii> restart reporting services

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms156274.aspx

Hope this satisfies most of the quests.

Chandrachurh Ghosh
    DBA – MS SQL Server
    Ericsson India Global Services Limited
    Quality is not an act, it is a habit.

• :blink:

Geez.... believe it or not, Z's suggestion works. I have SSRS 9.0.4053

I'd love to post a better reply but I just can't get the words "what the heck?" out of my mind

• this error will come if you have changed your windows password or sql server password or reportserver is not there in your server.

So go to the sql server report configuratuion and there in the user credential change your current setting user name and password.

It will work definitely.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply