Configure Distribution

• I'm currently reading a book SQL Server 2005 replication. Working through the examples I follow the instructions to right click Replication in SSMS and select Configure Distribution. When I do so I get the following error message:

SQL Server replication requires the actual server name to make a connection to the server. Connections through a server alias, IP address or any other alternate name are not supported. Specify the actual server name <Server Name>.

When I click OK the normal Connect To Server login box and no matter what combination of Server Name and Authentication I use I always get a failed to connect error.

A quick check on the internet recommended using SQl instead. Trying that I get this error:

Could not connect to server because 'distributor_admin' is not defined as a remote login at the server.......

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions as to what I could be doing wrong.

Thankyou

• Seems you have registered your server in SSMS using IP address of the server.

Try re-registering with actual server name and then proceed to configure distribution..

Pradeep Singh

• Thank you Pradeep. The wasn't the problem. It would appear it's the SQL Server I'm working with. It comes bundled with a SCADA software package called WinCC and needs to be installed prior to WinCC. Once installed the SQL Server name is WinCC\Computer Name it appears to be this Replication services doesn't like. Once again Thnak you

• Frankly speaking i haven't come across the software u mentioned. So cant comment how it works.;-)

Pradeep Singh

• WinCC is designed for visualizing and operating processes, production flows, machines and plants. With its powerful process interfaces (to the SIMATIC range in particular) and secure data archiving, WinCC provides fault-tolerant solutions for instrumentation and control.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure this will support this.

• Hi,

Are you configuring the replication over the internet. If so first add the hostname and ipaddress into the host file. I think this should resolve ur problem.

Thanks

Chandra Mohan N

[font="Verdana"]Thanks
    Chandra Mohan[/font]

• Couple of questions:

- What version ad edition of SQL Server is installed? (e.g. 2005 standard)

- Where the replication components installed during the SQL install?

- What value do you get for @@servername in a query on the server? Does that match what you expect the server name to be? Does that match the name of the server you're connecting to in SSMS?

Kendal Van Dyke
    http://kendalvandyke.blogspot.com/[/url]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply