Conditionally showing report parameters in report header

• Hi,

I have some parameters showing in the header of a report (SSRS 2012). When all parameter values are chosen this header section consumes quite a lot of space on the report. Actually too much space because the end user (CFO) would like to have the report fitting on a screen without having the need to scroll down (or to print it on 1 A4 sheet of paper).

Therefore I would like to conditionally show/hide these parameters something like you can do with toggle-items.

I tried it with toggle-items but they are not allowed in the header of a report. I don't want to use a parameter either, because then the report has to be generated again when it has to be shown with or without parameters.

I just want to conditionally show/hide the parameters when the report is on screen.

There is a possibility to add customs controls (i.e. checkboxes) to the toolbox, but I wonder if this will resolve my problem.

Hopefully someone has come accross this earlier.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• just under the parameters, there is a thin border, which has an arrow button in the center. If you click that, you hide the parameters. Does that suffice? Or are you trying to get the view to change automatically (aka hide the parameters) when you actually run the report?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Hi

I haven't used 20012 version, am still using 2008R2 and the workaround for this issue is,

Remove Page header and whatever parameter values you want to dispay, paste it in a rectangle.

Insert a textbox, note the textbox name.

Go to Rectangle properties - Visibility. Click on Hide and tick on Display can be toggled by this report item, in the drop down, select Textbox number.

This way when you initially run the report, the parameter section will be hidden but can be toggled as needed. The toggle is not allowed on Page header.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Varsha

• Hi,

Maybe I was a little bit vague, but my point was not about the parameters that you have to fill in before you hit the button View Report.

I wanted to show the parameters on the header of the report, so I added text boxes to put them in. These I want to conditionally hide/show like toggle items in the report body.

I solved it now by removing the header and adding the parameters in the normal report body and toggle them on/off.

The report should fit on one A4 paper when printed out, so there was actually no need for a real report header to be repeated on several pages.

Thanks for you reply anyway!

• Thanks Varsha, I did it exactly as you mentioned!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply