Conditional Where statement

• I have a situation where I am getting values from a couple of views and feeding them into an SSRS report. In my query, we have one case where if it is a certain product, that product has to be split (this condition does not affect other products).

I have the following:

declare @product as char(10)

declare @thisDate as datetime

set @product='SHDS'

set @thisDate='2/6/11'

select d.product

,s.[group]

,round(sum(d.wt1),0) as lbs1

,round(sum(d.wt2),0) as lbs2

,round(sum(d.wt3),0) as lbs3

,round((sum(d.wt1) + sum(d.wt2) + sum(d.wt3)),0) as DailyLBS

,round(s.SchedWt,0) as Scheduled

,round(((sum(d.wt1) + sum(d.wt2) + sum(d.wt3))-(s.SchedWt)),0) as LBSVariance

from vw_daily_lbs d

inner join vw_adhoc_lbs_ProductDay s on d.[date]=s.[date] and d.product=s.product

where d.[date]=@thisDate

and

CASE @product

WHEN 'SHDS' THEN (d.resource='FAM201' or d.resource='FAM202')

WHEN 'SHDN' THEN (d.resource='FAM203' or d.resource='FAM204')

ELSE 1

END

group by d.product, s.[group], s.SchedWt

@product is an internal variable and when I call the procedure, I will pass the value to it. My WHERE statement would be conditional only if @product='SHDN' or @product='SHDS', otherwise I do not need to append to the original WHERE statement (for the date).

The set statements are being used just for testing purposes.

Thanks for any information and help with this. I think I am on the right track, but just need some help here.

• You're probably going to be better off in this case by just doing something like :

IF @product = 'SHDS'

Select ...

WHERE d.resource IN ('FAM201','FAM202')

ELSE IF @product = 'SHDN'

SELECT ...

WHERE d.resource IN ('FAM203','FAM204')

ELSE

SELECT ...

While you could write it in one statement, I think you're going to risk bad execution plans depending on data distribution.

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. 😉

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• Thanks for this information. The IF - THEN - ELSE statements seemed to have done the trick.

• The problem with your original CASE statement is that you were trying to return a Boolean value and T-SQL won't let you return a Boolean value. You can restructure your CASE statement to return non-Boolean values:

CASE WHEN @product = 'SHDS' AND (d.resource='FAM201' or d.resource='FAM202') THEN 1

WHEN @product = 'SHDS' THEN 0

WHEN @product = 'SHDN' AND (d.resource='FAM203' or d.resource='FAM204') THEN 1

WHEN @product = 'SHDN' THEN 0

ELSE 1

END

Either approach will work in this case, but there are other cases where this approach may be more efficient.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply