Conditional update advice

• I am writing a proc that updates a single record. The proc will accept multiple params corresponding to the table columns. What is the best way to write the proc given that not *all* the params will always be passed?

e.g. should i use multiple IF statements??

IF @CategoryID IS NOT NULL

UPDATE Vids SET CategoryID = @CategoryID WHERE VidID = @VidID

IF @VidFileName IS NOT NULL

UPDATE Vids SET VidFileName = @VidFileName WHERE VidID = @VidID

etc...

this means a lot of IF statements..!

• Hey Matt,

Have you considered updating all columns at once?

[font="System"]UPDATE Vids

SET CategoryID = COALESCE(@CategoryID, CategoryID),

VidFileName = COALESCE(@VidFileName, VidFileName),

WHERE VidID = @VidID[/font]

Thanks,

Eric

• I'm sure someone will find a reason why this isn't a good idea, but one way would be:

CREATE PROC proc1 (@param1 int = null, @param2 varchar(1) = null, @param3 datetime = null)

UPDATE table1 SET

col1 = coalesce(@param1,col1)

,col2 = coalesce(@param2,col2)

,col3 = coalesce(@param3,col3)

[...etc]

This assumes that you will never want to update a column to NULL - but your question kind-of presupposes that, since from inside a procedure you can't tell whether a NULL was explicitly passed in or was supplied as the default parameter value.

If this isn't quite whatyou're after, a CASE statement would provide greater flexibility:

CREATE PROC proc1 (@param1 varchar(10) = null, @param2 varchar(10) = null, @param3 varchar(10) = null)

UPDATE table1 SET

col1 = CASE WHEN @param1 IS NULL THEN col1 WHEN @param1 = 'N/A' THEN col1 ELSE @param1 END

,col2 = CASE WHEN @param2 IS NULL THEN col2 WHEN @param2 = 'N/A' THEN col2 ELSE @param2 END

,col3 = CASE WHEN @param3 IS NULL THEN col3 WHEN @param3 = 'N/A' THEN col3 ELSE @param3 END

Obviously the key move is having SET col1 = col1 as one of the possible outcomes. This is not exactly equivalent to not updating the column at all, as it may for example show up in a trigger as one of the 'updated' columns, or possibly - I haven't checked this - cause the row modification counter (if that still exists in SQL9) to be incremented even though no values in the row were changed.

[edit: ah, I see someone else got in first...]

Tim Wilkinson

"If it doesn't work in practice, you're using the wrong theory"
    - Immanuel Kant

• Wow - thanks!! didn't know about COALESCE. YOU GUYS ROCK!

• COALESCE with only two parameters is equivalent to ISNULL. I always use coalesce, as it renders isnull redundant, and can be used with more params (it works from left to right and returns the first non-null value it encounters.)

Tim Wilkinson

"If it doesn't work in practice, you're using the wrong theory"
    - Immanuel Kant

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply