Conditional execution of a DTS package

• I have a DTS package that itterates through a series of XML files and does a bulk upload of data into a series of tables.

This runs every 30 seconds.

I have another process that is designed to run nightly but what I want it to do is execute conditionally. If there are any records in a table where the field ProcessedDate IS NULL then execute the DTS package, otherwise quit.

I am not sure how to do this.

• One way is to put a piece of ActiveX code as the first step in the DTS package.  Perform the IS NULL checks in this step and then:

if (NULL condition) then

main = DTSTaskExecResult_Success

else

Main = DTSTaskExecResult_Failure

end if

Then you'll need Success and Failure workflows coming out of this task to control what happens next.  Obviously, Success will point to your existing processing.

The DTSStepScriptResult_DontExecuteTask constant also looks promising, but I've never used that, so I'm not sure.

Regards.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Do I have to go through the all the CreateObject("ADODB.Command") stuff to execute a query to get the count back or is there a quicker way of doing this?

• That's the way I would do it - here's some sample code - notice that I have put the connection string in a global variable for ease of use:

Dim strConn

Dim objConn

Dim objCmd

Dim rs

'Create connection

strConn = DTSGlobalVariables("ConnectionString").Value

Set objConn=CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

objConn.open strConn

Set objCmd=CreateObject("ADODB.Command")

objCmd.ActiveConnection = objConn

objCmd.CommandText = (select statement here)

Set rs = objCmd.Execute()

(process your resultset here)

'Tidy up

set rs = nothing

set objCmd = nothing

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Alteratively select @@rowcount from a sql statement and use a raiserror if @@rowcount = 0.

See this related article.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=19&messageid=224372#bm225473

------------------------------
    The Users are always right - when I'm not wrong!

• The problem (or advantage, depending on your viewpoint) of DTS is that it often provides a half dozen different ways to do something.

Define a Connection object, and run an Execute SQL task on it. This SQL task has an output parameter, which places a boolean into a global DTS variable if there are any records where ProcessedDate IS NULL.

Following this is an ActiveX script task makes the package self-modifying. Following the ActiveX script task is an Execute Package Task. You write VBScript to set the properties of the sub-package, depending on the global variable. Specifically, you grab a reference to the Execute Package task in VBScript, and set the Task.CustomTask.PackageName property. This makes the final step conditional on what was returned by the SQL on ProcessedDate IS NULL.

• Another option would be to use a Dynamic Properties Task to set a Global Variable to a Count or Return value from a Query. Then in an ActiveX Task check the Global Variable and do what needs to be done from there.

Good Luck

Darrell

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply