Conceptual design and When to define schemas

• we are in the conceptual phase of our project.  UI design just finished and front and backend development is just starting. We are defining entities and attributes.  And trying to get more specifications from the design and development groups so that we can most accurately define all the entities.   I was thinking to propose that we define all the system schemas at this point.  Most of the design literature says this is done after logical design at the start of physical.  But i am feeling it adds clarity to define these schemas now and to define the business subject areas that will fall into the defined schemas i come up with.  Is this a bad idea?  I know i can do what i want but thinking what is best?  Thanks.

Microsoft Certified Professional: MCSE Data Management and Analytics

• I don't think there's a single correct answer here. Is this a good time to consider schema's and your object layout? Yes. However, as you say, it's early in the process. Be flexible and ready for change.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply