Computer details of the user that is logged in

• Hi guys,

I am taking a long shot here and this might seem highly irregular what I am trying to do but please hear me out. I need to get the computer details of the person that logged in. I have a client that needs me to write a computer asset logging system for them. This is a one table database that will keep all the computers in the company's details like serial number, bios serial number, ram size disk size, mother board info etc. This is a vast number of details and what they want to do is when for instance the ram changes e.g. taken out or added they need the program to update the table with the new information once the computer starts again.

I know this sounds like hacking or something but I promise it is above board and I know a long shot. I don't know if SQL can do this and that is why I am trying other avenues as well. An answer will be highly appreciated.

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• Manie Verster (1/20/2015)

Hi guys,

I am taking a long shot here and this might seem highly irregular what I am trying to do but please hear me out. I need to get the computer details of the person that logged in. I have a client that needs me to write a computer asset logging system for them. This is a one table database that will keep all the computers in the company's details like serial number, bios serial number, ram size disk size, mother board info etc. This is a vast number of details and what they want to do is when for instance the ram changes e.g. taken out or added they need the program to update the table with the new information once the computer starts again.

I know this sounds like hacking or something but I promise it is above board and I know a long shot. I don't know if SQL can do this and that is why I am trying other avenues as well. An answer will be highly appreciated.

Is the program that is doing the update going to reside on each workstation? If so the system variables can be accessed via command line interaction \ powershell \ python\ vbscript etc etc.

For example open the command prompt and type "SET USERNAME" and "SET USERDOMAIN" and you get the values returned of the loggin in user and the domain the account resides in.

To be any more specific I would need to understand how you plan to get the client side data.

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012

• The program will be installed on each computer, yes. I actually need the details like ram size, cpu, motherboard etc. so that when any of these change the database can be automatically updated.

Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• Have a read of this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394587(v=vs.85).aspx

You can write your application to use WMI to retrieve all the info you need from the OS providing its a windows machine.

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012

• RTaylor2208 (1/20/2015)

Have a read of this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394587(v=vs.85).aspx

You can write your application to use WMI to retrieve all the info you need from the OS providing its a windows machine.

Thanks a lot! I actually found this late last night. I actually remembered that I downloaded the Hey! Scripting Guy's repository of WMI scripts but was a little concerned that it might be a little outdated but then after searching a bit I came upon this website that you gave me here. Thanks a span for all the comments. I knew I would be able to find help here.:-D:-D:-D:-D

Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply