Computed Column Divide by Zero?

• Thanks for the question!

• Hardy21 (10/13/2010)

Good question.

If computed columns are persisted in nature (e.g. QTot AS QF1 + QF2 PERSISTED,) then you receive the error after "Insert Zeroes" print statement and "SELECT * FROM @Quantities" statement returns 2 rows - datasource Test1 & Test3.

I am a little confused here: I tried the query with PERSISTED, making sure that I set ARITHABORT and ANSI_Warning to off and I got this message: "DECLARE failed because the following SET options have incorrect settings: 'ANSI_WARNINGS'. Verify that SET options are correct for use with indexed views and/or indexes on computed columns and/or filtered indexes and/or query notifications and/or XML data type methods and/or spatial index operations." wich I don't get if the "PERSISTED" is not there (having the three row, 0 for the division by zero).

So, how come the "PERSISTED" could arrange things? Do I forget to do something?

And yes, this is a nice question because I learned a lot. Thanks!

• tilew-948340 (10/14/2010)

Hardy21 (10/13/2010)

Good question.

If computed columns are persisted in nature (e.g. QTot AS QF1 + QF2 PERSISTED,) then you receive the error after "Insert Zeroes" print statement and "SELECT * FROM @Quantities" statement returns 2 rows - datasource Test1 & Test3.

I am a little confused here: I tried the query with PERSISTED, making sure that I set ARITHABORT and ANSI_Warning to off and I got this message: "DECLARE failed because the following SET options have incorrect settings: 'ANSI_WARNINGS'. Verify that SET options are correct for use with indexed views and/or indexes on computed columns and/or filtered indexes and/or query notifications and/or XML data type methods and/or spatial index operations." wich I don't get if the "PERSISTED" is not there (having the three row, 0 for the division by zero).

If you want to try it with PERSISTED, then just add PERSISTED at the end of the computed column declarations and change nothing else.

The reason PERSISTED changes the results is because PERSISTED changes the behaviour from the default "don't evaluate on insert and update, but evaluate when queried" to "evaluate on insert and update and store the result; don't evaluate when queried but return stored result". So that means that errors that occur during evaluation change from query time to insert/update time.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Hugo Kornelis (10/15/2010)

tilew-948340 (10/14/2010)

Hardy21 (10/13/2010)

Good question.

If you want to try it with PERSISTED, then just add PERSISTED at the end of the computed column declarations and change nothing else.

The reason PERSISTED changes the results is because PERSISTED changes the behaviour from the default "don't evaluate on insert and update, but evaluate when queried" to "evaluate on insert and update and store the result; don't evaluate when queried but return stored result". So that means that errors that occur during evaluation change from query time to insert/update time.

Hi Hugo which is the best pratice for Computed columns having PERSISTED or without having PERSISTED option or having an index for the computed columns

Thanks & Regards

Deepak.A

• Be aware of computed columns that use complex formula or call functions, they may lead to performance problems:

create function getsum(@id int)

returns int

as

begin

return (select sum(id) from sysobjects where id < @id)

end

GO

create table a(id int identity(1,1) primary key,a int,sum_id as dbo.getsum(id))

insert a select id from sysobjects

select * from a -- the function getsum is called for each row to compute sum_id

In this case, I prefer to use a trigger to compute the column.

• deepak.a (10/15/2010)

Hi Hugo which is the best pratice for Computed columns having PERSISTED or without having PERSISTED option or having an index for the computed columns

It depends.

For non-indexed computed columns, if the data modifies often and is not queried often, you should not persist it.

If the data seldom modifies and the persisted column is often queried, you should persist it.

If the data seldom modifies, the persisted column is sometimes queried and the other columns are often modified, it's an edge case. You save on evaluatig the expression when reading the computed column, but the extra bytes in each row slow down all accesses to the table.

EDIT: Removed a line where I erroneously claimed that persisting is required to index a computeed column. See the post by Henrik that follows this one.

• Hugo,

<<If you want to index a computed column, you must persist it.

Are you sure?

I've just added a computed column to one of our big tables (+4 billion rows).

I did not add "PERSISTED" to the alter table statement.

Then I created an index on the column.

Looks fine.

A simple query on the field returns data from the index according to the plan.

But one caveat:

I have a query that currently crashes after 8 hours, when it is using the new index.

We're using SQL Server 2008 sp1 and some cu's.

Best regards,

Henrik Staun Poulsen

http://www.stovi.com

• henrik staun poulsen (10/15/2010)

Hugo,

Are you sure?

Looks fine.

But one caveat:

I have a query that currently crashes after 8 hours, when it is using the new index.

You are completely right; I should have checked that statement before speaking. I'll edit my previous post.

(And on a simple test I just ran, I did not crash the query - so your problem might not be related to the indexed computed column)

henrik staun poulsen (10/15/2010)

Hugo,

Are you sure?

Looks fine.

But one caveat:

You are completely right; I should have checked that statement before speaking. I'll edit my previous post.

(And on a simple test I just ran, I did not crash the query - so your problem might not be related to the indexed computed column)

hi one more doubt on creating the index on computed columns

-- Query 1 Creating the index for computed columns no Error

CREATE TABLE #tblTemp

(

Name1 varchar(10),

Col1 int,

PartitionKey as (Col1 % 10)

)

GO

CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX ix_Partitionkey on #tblTemp(PartitionKey)

GO

INSERT INTO #tblTemp(Name1,Col1) select 'Nam1',565

INSERT INTO #tblTemp(Name1,Col1) select 'Nam2',58

SELECT * FROM #tblTemp

DROP TABLE #tblTemp

GO

-- Query 2 Creating the index for computed columns Error Raised For Foat DataType

CREATE TABLE #Quantities (

ID INT IDENTITY,

DataSource varchar(30) NOT NULL,

QF1 FLOAT,

QF2 FLOAT,

QTot AS QF1 + QF2

)

GO

CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX IX_PF1 on #Quantities(QTot)

GO

drop table #Quantities

/*

-- Error

Msg 2799, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Cannot create index or statistics 'IX_PF1' on table '#Quantities' because the computed column 'QTot' is imprecise and not persisted.

Consider removing column from index or statistics key or marking computed column persisted.

*/

-- Query 3 Creating the index for computed columns No Error for Decimal datattype

CREATE TABLE #Quantities2 (

ID INT IDENTITY,

QF1 DECIMAL(18,2),

QF2 DECIMAL(18,2),

QTot AS QF1 + QF2

)

GO

CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX IX_PF1 on #Quantities2(QTot)

GO

drop table #Quantities2

in the above Quesries second one (Query 2) thrown on error while creating the index on computed column but the Query 1 and Query 3 not thrown error i'm confused about this

Thanks & Regards

Deepak.A

tilew-948340 (10/14/2010)

Hardy21 (10/13/2010)

Good question.

I am a little confused here: ...

Hi Hugo.

The first time I tried the PERSISTED, I got the divide by zero error AFTER the "show table" wich does not seem to be, as I understand it, what it should be doing. So I tried many "set" option, wich brought me to the "declare" error...

So, if I put the PERSISTED word, should not the error happend after the "Insert null"?

• deepak.a (10/15/2010)

one more doubt on creating the index on computed columns

(...)

in the above Quesries second one (Query 2) thrown on error while creating the index on computed column but the Query 1 and Query 3 not thrown error i'm confused about this

As implied by the text of the error message, a computed column that SQL Server considers imprecise can not be indexed without first pesisting it. But a computed column that is not imprecies can be persisted.

All results of calculations with floating point data is considered imprecise, that's the reason you get the error in query 2.

• tilew-948340 (10/15/2010)

Hi Hugo.

The first time I tried the PERSISTED, I got the divide by zero error AFTER the "show table" wich does not seem to be, as I understand it, what it should be doing. So I tried many "set" option, wich brought me to the "declare" error...

So, if I put the PERSISTED word, should not the error happend after the "Insert null"?

Here is the code that I used - if you compare this to the QotD, you'll see that adding PERSISTED at one place is the only modification.

PRINT 'Define Table';

DECLARE @Quantities TABLE (

QF1 Float,

QF2 Float,

QTot AS QF1 + QF2,

PF1 AS QF1 / (QF1 + QF2),

PF2 AS QF2 / (QF1 + QF2) PERSISTED);

PRINT 'Insert data';

INSERT INTO @Quantities (DataSource, QF1, QF2)

SELECT 'Test 1' , 66, 34;

Print 'Insert Zeroes';

SELECT 'Test 2', 0, 0;

Print 'Insert Nulls';

SELECT 'Test 3', null, null;

PRINT 'Show Table';

SELECT * FROM @Quantities;

If I run this (from SSMS, against SQL Server 2005), I get an error after "Insert Zeroes", and a result set with two rows (one with values; one with NULLs)

• Good question, but I've seen more difficult ones for two points.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

deepak.a (10/15/2010)

(...)

As implied by the text of the error message, a computed column that SQL Server considers imprecise can not be indexed without first pesisting it. But a computed column that is not imprecies can be persisted.

All results of calculations with floating point data is considered imprecise, that's the reason you get the error in query 2.

thanks for your reply hugo , but in query 3 i have used decimal (decimal(18,2))data type for that there s no error thrown

• deepak.a (10/15/2010)

Hugo Kornelis (10/15/2010)

deepak.a (10/15/2010)

(...)

thanks for your reply hugo , but in query 3 i have used decimal (decimal(18,2))data type for that there s no error thrown

That's because decimal(18,2) is NOT imprecise, whereas float is.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply