Comparing Two Execution Plans

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Comparing Two Execution Plans

• Upgrade SSMS a couple of times a year?

You should be upgrading every time one is available. Why wouldn't you?

• This was an excellent article.  I like your attention to detail as you wrote.  Thank you.

Dave P wrote: " You should be upgrading every time [SSMS] is available. Why wouldn't you?"

I'm wondering why you say "should" above.  I don't feel terribly strongly about it either way, but I gather that you think there are really good reasons to upgrade immediately/every time and/or there are serious drawbacks to not upgrading every time.

As I said, I don't have strong feelings about this either way, but I can think of reasons not to upgrade SSMS every time.  For example:

* SSMS is working fine, and I have no need of the new features.  So, I don't want to take the time for the upgrade.

* Sometimes MS "upgrades" cause problems.  So, it might be better to wait for MS to work out all the bugs.

* Some MS "upgrades" in the past have made changes enough to hurt my work flow.  I may want to take time to review the upgrades first to make sure they will be beneficial to me, and I may not have time to do that review right now.

* In some organizations, upgrades/installs are locked down and require a Ticket or some sort of procedure to get any application changes/upgrades.  I may not have time for that right now.

Those are some ideas that came to me off the top of my head.  Maybe other people have other reasons.  I'm just curious: Why do you think everyone "should" upgrade right away and every time?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply