Comparing Third party backup tools

• Hello all.

I am doing an evaluation of thid party tools to backup SQL databases with encryption and compression to reclaim very much needed space and add security to our backups.

So far I found Red-Gate, SQL LiteSpeed, SQL Safe and a couple more but concentrated only on these three.

I was ask on Friday, if Veritas SQL Agent backup can do the same as these three; encryption, compression, adn restores as easy as the eval;uated tools. I read some papers from Veritas but could not figure out if the have a good compression and/or encryption. I found only one quete regarding compression but nothing specific or clear, it was just a mention of compression nothing about encryption.

The other issue that concerns me is that Veritas usually backup to tape, not to disk. I could be wrong, that happens a lot 🙂  I want to have the maximum avalability with my backups to disk and then to tape.

Any input will be really appreciated, we are almost ready to make a decision and the only hold up is Veritas questions. Now that Veritas is Symantec, I have not being able to contact a real person on their support line for three days now!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE ADVICE!!!!! THANK YOU!!

• Use SQL Server to do the initial backup to disk. Then use whatever third party software you want to make a copy of the backup file to tape. This way you don't need any SQL Server Agents (saves some money) and you can use ANY backup software that meets your encryption needs.

I use Veritas and 10.d (or 10.1) does do 'to disk' backups. But I would never use Veritas to backup my databases. I use SQL Server to backup to disk and then Veritas to copy the backup file to tape - just as I suggested you should do.

-SQLBill

• Thank you, but what I need is how Veritas SQL Agent do when backing up to disk. We do all you mentioned in your comment. Is just a matter of saving time and space by using a compression tool. We even looked at Windows compression. Thank you anyway.

• I guess you were missing my point - I really do NOT recommend using Veritas' Agent for SQL Server. I have had bad things happen in the past with it. I highly suggest using the SQL Server backup commands to go to disk and then 3rd party software to copy and compress the backup file to tape.

By bad things.....I had to send my backup tapes to Veritas for them to recover the data since it was unrestorable using Veritas. There were issues with a hotfix. I was without the data for over a month while Veritas worked on recovering it.

-SQLBill

• Hi there,

Just to add on...

We've been running with Red-Gate's SQL Backup for a while now & no issues... SQL Backup encrypts & shrinks our backups to about 10% of the normal size, not too mention the time saving as well...

Example... We have a SQL database of +-200GB. With SQL Agent the backup takes 3 hours & size is about +-120GB. With SQL Backup, we take the backup size down to +-40GB & the backup completes in less than an hour... We then use Veritas to get it onto tape...

And yes, we also had problems getting data off a Veritas tape!!

Cheers!!

Tobie.

• I've tested SQLLiteSpeed and was quite pleased with it until I had to do a restore.  The backups were faster, files much smaller, but restores on the whole took a bit longer than native SQL.  The vendor said that it wasn't typical although I did try two different versions 🙂

I also tried Red-Gate's Backup Pro.  It was a good product and I liked it until I ran across SQLZip.

It is a lightweight application that doesn't need a GUI interface.  It installs a compression engine (as a service) and a few SQL extended stored procedures.  All you do is create a simple script and schedule as needed.  I've tested it on smaller databases (40 GB) and will be trying it on a 200 GB database sometime.  The speed & compression are great, and restores are faster too.  It offers encryption but I haven't tried it yet.  It can also create backup sets up to 16 different backup files-- theoretically 32 TB each--if needed.  So far I am very pleased with SQLZip.  You might want to download a 14-day trial and see for yourself.

• I'm looking into Idera's SQLSafe. The amount of compression depends on the type of data in your DB, and the compression option you choose. I tested it on one of our databases and got the following results (your results will vary):

Database               Method            DB Size       Backup Size    Backup Time   Restore Time

My_Database         SQL 2000         11.5 G                 11.5 G              17 min             35 min

My_Database         SQL Safe          11.5 G                  2.1 G               5 min              25 min

Notice that the restore time was also faster.  I got a demo version, but haven't had a chance to test any more than this.

• Give or take a GB or two, Red-Gate SQLBackup gives us about the same figures...

Does SQLSafe allow you to restore single objects as to the whole database? I know SQL LiteSpeed does that, but the restore takes ages to complete, especially if you have a big table with a couple of text columns...

Also, can you test a restore in SQLSafe as in SQL 2005 where you specify the VERIFYONLY option??

• I've only given SQL Safe a quick lookover, so I don't know the answers. 

• Thank you all for your input. I did work with Veritas in the past and it is a pain in the neck, to say the least, the other con against Veritas is that any additional tool you need is extra cost! I sent all my findings to the board and they will make a decison soon. So far, I am leaning towards SQL Backup from Red-Gate, which I already use for the compare utilities and the service is good, not as good as wish due to the fact of the time difference.

In any event the test we run were planned and it invloved some other DBA's in the group and each passed along their findings and concerns. Thank you again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply