Comparing Space Usage for Different Compression Types

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Comparing Space Usage for Different Compression Types

• Good summary.  Thanks for taking the time to do the experiments and to write up your conclusions.

Shifting gears a bit, I can't speak for anyone else but I rarely take anyone's word/test results for things having to do with performance in general or any type of disk compression techniques.  Perhaps I missed something somewhere but it would have been real handy to have placed a test table generator in the Resources section of an article or provide a URL to download the test data or something to make it so people can more easily repeat your tests on their own.  As it is, we can't even tell what the cardinality of each column is, which could certainly have an impact on such things as compression and Columnstore.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Are columnstore indexes in sql 2016 limited to enterprise only still? if so that is a bummer along with memory tables.

maybe this changed with sp1
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993.aspx

• I urge  posters to provide complete  script from scratch

Without providing table definition and how data is inserted , these kind of posts are highly hypothetical and just academic

Not much use in Practical Environment

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply