comparing first and last name

• so I have a query:

SELECT esarfUser.nameFirst, esarfUser.nameLast, esarfUser.fullName, esarfUser.userID, EsarfVCPICompare$.LastName,

EsarfVCPICompare$.FirstName

FROM esarfUser INNER JOIN

EsarfVCPICompare$ ON esarfUser.nameLast = EsarfVCPICompare$.LastName AND esarfUser.nameFirst = EsarfVCPICompare$.FirstName

that returns nothing. If I drop off the AND esarfUser.nameFirst = EsarfVCPICompare$.FirstName, I get results, but it's way too many.

I have two tables that have first and last names and I'm trying to figure out how many I have in common.

Any ideas?

• Are you looking for common firstname and lastname between the tables, meaning that you want to know if "John Smith" is in both tables?

Or do you want matching names between the tables, meaning if "Smith" is a last name in both tables you want to know.

• I'm trying to find common first and last name combinations so if it's

John Smith in table 1 and

Johnathon Smith in table 2

I want to flag it.

I had thought to join them on a substring of the first name or a like but I'm not having any luck.

• What you want to do is not easily done in T-SQL. Usually something like this would be done in SSIS or another package. What about Jon and John or Jonathan and John or Jon. Could there be just J Smith's? When doing a join with = you need an exact match. You may want to lookup SOUNDEX in BOL.

• On top of all that, if you're trying to compare CHAR datatypes to VARCHAR datatypes, you may have to do an RTRIM on the CHAR datatypes to knock off any trailing spaces. If you have case sensitivity and accent sensitivity turned on, you may have to get into collation in the query.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jack Corbett (3/11/2008)

What you want to do is not easily done in T-SQL. Usually something like this would be done in SSIS or another package. What about Jon and John or Jonathan and John or Jon. Could there be just J Smith's? When doing a join with = you need an exact match. You may want to lookup SOUNDEX in BOL.

Do you have any idea how to attack it in SSIS?

• This sounds like a good candidate for a fuzzy lookup or fuzzy grouping transformation. You would set it up for an exact match on Last Name and a fuzzy match on the first name. You will have to play with the similarity score to get the results you want.

• With two tables a Data Flow like this should work.

[Table1] --

|--> [Union All] --> [Fuzzy Grouping] --> [Output Table]

[Table2] --

The output will have a grouping of names. Then you update the output table with the name you know is correct.

Have a look at these two articles:

Finding Similar Data Using SQL Server Integration Services[/url]

Using Fuzzy Lookup Transformations in SQL Server Integration Services

• You can use SOUNDEX() in sql server.

more details can be found at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187384.aspx

It is sometimes very dangerous to use this function. It is entirely dependent on your business requirements.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply