Compare two databases

• Im not able to see any of the scripts given above

• Please note, this thread is 8 years old.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • but , i require that to be worked now. Please provide me solution for that.

• http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-compare/

http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-data-compare/

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• ravishankar.yedoti (8/24/2011)

but , i require that to be worked now. Please provide me solution for that.

Next time please start a new thread. You're likelier to get more help faster (more people will see it).

Also be careful about your wording, that phrase can be interpreted as "do my work now".

I think this is not what you meant and that english is not your best language. So just keep that in mind for next time ;-).

• can u provide me script, i don't want it do be done with tool's

• I believe that tablediff will do this. It's a free tool from MS, but it goes table by table. You could script the calls to have it check all tables for you

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms162843.aspx

Other than that, you should search around the site. I doubt anyone has a SQL 2000 script handy, as it's an older product and comparison isn't necessarily simple. Easy to make mistakes, and hard to debug. Much easier, and safer, for most companies do spend the $300 or so if they need this.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/24/2011)

I believe that tablediff will do this. It's a free tool from MS, but it goes table by table. You could script the calls to have it check all tables for you

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms162843.aspx

Other than that, you should search around the site. I doubt anyone has a SQL 2000 script handy, as it's an older product and comparison isn't necessarily simple. Easy to make mistakes, and hard to debug. Much easier, and safer, for most companies do spend the $300 or so if they need this.

300$ for a tool like that is a total no brainer especially if you plan to release all year around.

Doing anything close to what that tool does will take you far more than 300$ worth of time. Garanteed.

• Link you've provided isn't working, can u pls provide the correct URL as I am in a need of comparing two DBs..

• Link works just fine here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms162843.aspx

tablediff Utility

SQL Server 2008 R2

Seriously though, get RedGate's SQLCompare or SQLDataCompare

Gail Shaw

• Below script is used to Compare fields and their data on two DB's.

ALTER procedure [dbo].[DataComparision]

@Server1 varchar(50),

@Db1 varchar(50),

@Server2 varchar(50),

@Db2 varchar(50)

AS

BEGIN

--Schemadiffer is a table that contains the details of field differed information and differed table information.

Truncate table datacomparison

DECLARE @tbl varchar(255)

DECLARE @sql varchar(max)

DECLARE @tblList CURSOR

SET @tblList = CURSOR FOR

-- Comparision table contains the list of tables thaqt should be used in production loading process.

select tablename from cmp

OPEN @tblList

FETCH NEXT

FROM @tblList INTO @tbl

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

set @sql='if exists(select 1 from ['+@Server1+'].['+@Db1+'].sys.tables where name='''+@tbl+''')

if exists(select 1 from ['+@Server2+'].['+@Db2+'].sys.tables where name='''+@tbl+''')

BEGIN

insert into datacomparison(TableName,FieldName,HomeDB,HomeServer,RivalDB,RivalServer,Comments)

select '''+@tbl+''' TableName,name FieldName,'''+@Db1+''' HomeDB,'''+@Server1+''' HomeServer,'''+@Db2+''' RivalDB,'''+@Server2+''' RivalServer,''Exists only in HomeDB'' Comments from ['+@Server1+'].['+@Db1+'].sys.columns

where object_id in (select object_id from ['+@Server1+'].['+@Db1+'].sys.tables where name='''+@tbl+''') and

name not in

(select name from ['+@Server2+'].['+@Db2+'].sys.columns where object_id in

(select object_id from ['+@Server2+'].['+@Db2+'].sys.tables where name='''+@tbl+'''))

insert into datacomparison(TableName,FieldName,HomeDB,HomeServer,RivalDB,RivalServer,Comments)

select '''+@tbl+''' TableName,name FieldName,'''+@Db1+''' HomeDB,'''+@Server1+''' HomeServer,'''+@Db2+''' RivalDB,'''+@Server2+''' RivalServer,''Exists only in RivalDB'' Comments from ['+@Server2+'].['+@Db2+'].sys.columns

where object_id in (select object_id from ['+@Server2+'].['+@Db2+'].sys.tables where name='''+@tbl+''') and

name not in

(select name from ['+@Server1+'].['+@Db1+'].sys.columns where object_id in

(select object_id from ['+@Server1+'].['+@Db1+'].sys.tables where name='''+@tbl+'''))

DECLARE @cln varchar(255)

DECLARE @sqlCln varchar(max)

DECLARE @clnList CURSOR

SET @clnList = CURSOR FOR

select name from ['+@Server1+'].['+@Db1+'].sys.columns

where object_id in (select object_id from ['+@Server1+'].['+@Db1+'].sys.tables where name='''+@tbl+''')

and name not in (select FieldName from datacomparison where TableName = '''+@tbl+''' and Comments is not NULL)

OPEN @clnList

FETCH NEXT

FROM @clnList INTO @cln

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

set @sqlCln = ''insert into datacomparison(TableName,FieldName,HomeDB,HomeServer,HomeCount,RivalDB,RivalServer,RivalCount,ColumnDiffernce)''

set @sqlCln = @sqlCln + ''Select '''''+@tbl+''''' TableName,''''''+@cln+'''''' FieldName,'''''+@Db1+''''' HomeDB,'''''+@Server1+''''' HomeServer,(select count(*) from ['+@Server1+'].['+@Db1+'].dbo.['+@tbl+']) HomeCount,'''''+@Db2+''''' RivalDB,'''''+@Server2+''''' RivalServer,(select count(*) from ['+@Server2+'].['+@Db2+'].dbo.['+@tbl+']) RivalCount,count(*) ColumnDiffernce from (''

set @sqlCln = @sqlCln+''select [''+@cln+''] from ['+@Server1+'].['+@Db1+'].dbo.['+@tbl+'] ''

set @sqlCln = @sqlCln+''except ''

set @sqlCln = @sqlCln+''select [''+@cln+''] from ['+@Server2+'].['+@Db2+'].dbo.['+@tbl+']) as a ''

--print @sqlCln

exec(@sqlCln)

FETCH NEXT

FROM @clnList INTO @cln

END

CLOSE @clnList

DEALLOCATE @clnList

END'

exec(@sql)

--print @sql

PRINT @tbl

FETCH NEXT

FROM @tblList INTO @tbl

END

CLOSE @tblList

DEALLOCATE @tblList

END

Thanks

Ganesh

• This one is the most comprehensive, and also the cheapest (schema+data)

http://nobhillsoft.com/NHDBCompare.aspx

• Here is a tutorial with a free tool included: http://testools.blogspot.com/2013/01/compare-2-sql-server-databases-very.html

• Hi

This link is not working. Could you please send me this script in gmail please.

nitinuniyal@gmail.com

Thanks

NU

• Dear friend,

i need to compare two database, like Production and dev dbs, could you plz share query if you have...thanks in advance

kumar

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply