Compare two columns

• Myke85 (8/21/2014)

How I can get 'good'?

DECLARE @Email VARCHAR(100)

DECLARE @Email2 VARCHAR(100)

Set @email= 'helper@sql-server-helper.com'

set @email2='fff@dd.com, helper@sql-server-helper.com,vc@.com'

SELECT case when @email like @email2 then 'good' else 'false' end as Result

Okay, the first problem is, as lpablo pointed out, you're trying to do the LIKE in the wrong order. You should be seeing if Email2 is like Email, not if Email is like Email2.

The second issue is that while lpablo has the right idea, he forgot to test his code. Because if you look at it, he's referencing a non-existent variable in the SELECT statement. So here are two versions of your problem, one with variables (correcting lpablo's issue) and one with a table:

DECLARE @Email VARCHAR(100), @Email2 VARCHAR(100);

SET @email= 'helper@sql-server-helper.com';

SET @email2='fff@dd.com, helper@sql-server-helper.com,vc@.com';

SELECT CASE WHEN @email2 LIKE '%' + @email + '%' THEN 'good' ELSE 'false'

END AS Result ;

--This is the variable code.

CREATE TABLE #Emails (Email1 VARCHAR(100), Email2 VARCHAR(100));

INSERT INTO #Emails (Email1, Email2)

VALUES ('helper@sql-server-helper.com',

'fff@dd.com, helper@sql-server-helper.com,vc@.com');

SELECT * FROM #Emails;

SELECT CASE WHEN Email2 LIKE '%' + Email1 + '%' THEN 'Good' ELSE 'False'

END AS Result

FROM #Emails;

--This is the table version.

FYI: If you use "code" instead of "quote" around your T-SQL, it will appear as it does above (in full technicolor glory).

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Aaaannnnnddddd... From the theatre of the absurd, I couldn't get PATINDEX() to work, but I did get CHARINDEX() and REPLACE() to work. I don't know why anyone would want to use these methods, but hey, I'm gonna post them anyway. @=)

--The table version

CREATE TABLE #Emails (Email1 VARCHAR(100), Email2 VARCHAR(100));

INSERT INTO #Emails (Email1, Email2)

VALUES ('helper@sql-server-helper.com',

'fff@dd.com, helper@sql-server-helper.com,vc@.com');

SELECT * FROM #Emails;

SELECT CASE WHEN Email2 LIKE '%' + Email1 + '%' THEN 'Good' ELSE 'False'

END AS Result

FROM #Emails;

SELECT CASE WHEN REPLACE(Email2,Email1,'Good') LIKE '%Good%' THEN 'Good'

ELSE 'False' END AS Result

FROM #Emails;

--Using REPLACE

SELECT CASE WHEN CHARINDEX(Email1,Email2) <> 0 THEN 'Good'

ELSE 'False' END AS Result

FROM #Emails;

--Using CHARINDEX()

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• djj (8/22/2014)

Brandie Tarvin (8/22/2014)

lpablo (8/22/2014)

SELECT case when @email2 like '%' + @email1 + '%' then 'good' else 'false' end as Result

FYI: This code has obviously not been tested.

But if you replace @email1 with @email it will work. ๐Ÿ™‚

Why, Yes. Yes, it will. @=)

• WITH DedupedData AS (

SELECT nr, [Address],

Alias = CASE

WHEN (x1.Address_Name = x3.Alias_Name AND x1.Address_Domain IN (Alias_Domain1,Alias_Domain2)) THEN NULL

ELSE Item END

FROM @info

CROSS APPLY (

SELECT

Address_Name = MAX(CASE WHEN ItemNumber = 1 THEN Item END),

Address_Domain = MAX(CASE WHEN ItemNumber = 2 THEN Item END)

FROM dbo.DelimitedSplit8k(REPLACE([address],'@','.'),'.')

WHERE ItemNumber IN (1,2)

) x1

CROSS APPLY dbo.DelimitedSplit8k([alias],',') x2

CROSS APPLY (

SELECT

Alias_Name = MAX(CASE WHEN ItemNumber = 1 THEN Item END),

Alias_Domain1 = MAX(CASE WHEN ItemNumber = 2 THEN Item END),

Alias_Domain2 = MAX(CASE WHEN ItemNumber = 3 THEN Item END)

FROM dbo.DelimitedSplit8k(REPLACE(x2.Item,'@','.'),'.')

) x3

)

SELECT

d.nr,

[address] = CASE WHEN x.Alias IS NOT NULL THEN d.[address] ELSE '' END,

[alias] = ISNULL(x.alias,'')

FROM (SELECT nr, [address] FROM DedupedData GROUP BY nr, [address]) d

OUTER APPLY (

SELECT stuff( (

SELECT ',' + Alias

FROM DedupedData di

WHERE di.nr = d.nr

AND di.Alias IS NOT NULL

ORDER BY Alias

FOR XML PATH(''), TYPE).value('.', 'varchar(max)')

,1,1,'')

) x (alias)

ORDER BY d.nr

For definition of function DelimitedSplit8k, see http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/[/url]

โ€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.โ€ - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Chris,

Why the STUFF() and the XML?

• Brandie Tarvin (8/22/2014)

Chris,

It's concatenation of values from different rows of the same column, Brandie.

Split up the email addresses onto different rows, eliminate any matches, then join back up what's left.

โ€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.โ€ - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work (8/22/2014)

Chris,

Split up the email addresses onto different rows, eliminate any matches, then join back up what's left.

Ah. Thank you.

I wish I had the OPs DDL so I could test stuff like this. Oh, well.

• I'll post it up when I get back from lunch ๐Ÿ™‚

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• CASE WHEN PATINDEX(REPLACE(LEFT(address,CHARINDEX('.',address)-1),'@','@exc.')+'%,',alias+',') > 0

THEN STUFF(alias,PATINDEX(REPLACE(LEFT(address,CHARINDEX('.',address)-1),'@','@exc.')+'%,',alias+','),

(CHARINDEX(',',alias+',',PATINDEX(REPLACE(LEFT(address,CHARINDEX('.',address)-1),'@','@exc.')+'%,',alias+','))

- PATINDEX(REPLACE(LEFT(address,CHARINDEX('.',address)-1),'@','@exc.')+'%,',alias+','))+1,'')

ELSE alias

END

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

ChrisM@Work (8/22/2014)

Chris,

Ah. Thank you.

Fourth post in the thread.

There's a ton of stuff on t'webs about FOR XML PATH, the Simple Talk article is pretty good.

• ChrisM@Work (8/22/2014)

ChrisM@Work (8/22/2014)

Chris,

Ah. Thank you.

Fourth post in the thread.

There's a ton of stuff on t'webs about FOR XML PATH, the Simple Talk article is pretty good.

DOH. I got my threads mixed up. I thought this was the one where I was still waiting for OP DDL. It's not. Sorry.

djj (8/22/2014)

lpablo (8/22/2014)

SELECT case when @email2 like '%' + @email1 + '%' then 'good' else 'false' end as Result

FYI: This code has obviously not been tested.

But if you replace @email1 with @email it will work. ๐Ÿ™‚

Why, Yes. Yes, it will. @=)

Actually it gives the right answer for this case. But if we had slightly different data is would give the wrong answer:

set @email2='fff@dd.com, badhelper@sql-server-helper.com,vc@.com'

Using exactly the same case statement, it gives the answer "good" although it should give "false" since the address in @email is not in the list of addresses in @email2.

Using a splitter to get the strings between commas in @email2, then ltrim and rtrim to eliminate leading and trailing spaces on each of those strings, and finally testing @email (with leading and trailing spaces removed) to test whether it is equal to any of the trimmed strings derived from @email1, will work. That's quite a size and complexity code penalty for failure to normalise.

Tom

• That is a good point, Tom. And not something even my Theatre of the Absurd code addresses.

• I have written finally the query.

create function testtable (@address varchar(200))

returns @table table (alias varchar (200))

as begin

declare @alias varchar (200)

declare @value varchar (200)

declare @email varchar (200)

--set @alias='fff@dd.com, helper@sql-server-helper.com,vc@.com'

set @alias=@address

while len(@alias)>0

begin

set @value= substring(@alias,1,isnull(nullif(charindex(',',@alias)-1,-1),len(@alias)))

set @alias = substring(@alias, isnull(nullif(charindex(',',@alias),0),len(@alias))+1,len(@alias))

insert into @table (alias) values (@value)

end

return

end

DECLARE @Emailas VARCHAR(200)

DECLARE @Emailas2 VARCHAR(200)

declare @table2 table (email varchar(200),email2 varchar(200))

Set @emailas= 'helper@sql-server-helper.com'

set @emailas2='fff@dd.com, helper@sql-server-helper.com,vc@.com'

insert into @table2 (email, email2) values(@emailas, @emailas2)

Select *, case when email like '%'+alias+'%' and len(email)=len(alias) then 'Good' else 'No' end as Status from (

Select * from @table2 as tb

cross apply

testtable (replace(tb.email2,' ','')) ) as fin

• Myke85, your code still has the same problem that Tom pointed out. Are you sure that's the code you want to stick with?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply