Compact and Repair partially fails

• I am managing a replicated Access database that runs about 50 MB and uses the 2002-2003 format. The design master is on my local C: drive and one "sync master" replica is located on a network share. The users copy this file to their local C: drives and do a daily sync to the sync master, and daily I sync the design master with the sync master. I believe that the share is a Windows ntfs share on a Linux SAN, if that matters.

The sync master is set for compact on close, but sometimes the process creates the db1.mdb file but then does not replace the original file with the compacted copy. The share permissions include everything except "full control". I can manually delete the original file and rename the db1.mdb to the correct file name & everything works as expected, but Access should be doing the delete / rename at the end of the compact process.

Before I run the compact & repair, I verify that there aren't any users copying or syncing to the file.

The available disk space on the network share is 1000x the size of the Access file, so that's not an issue. We are all running XP Pro Sp3 and Office 2003 Pro Sp3.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Bill Mitchell

• Hi

I have had this happen with 1 of my app's which i've written to allow users to autosync objects i.e. forms and reports from a master copy on our network which i update. The master copy is a frontend to a SQLServer Backend. It is set to compact on close as it has a couple of local Access tables that get written too/deleted from when building treeview hierarchies for each users menu system. I noticed that it was leaving behind db1.mdb so i was looking around when i found this.

http://access.softwareheadlines.com/ms-access-2003-w-sp3-should-not-require-full-control-permiss-t54583.html

I've not had a chance to try the hotfix -bottom of page - yet so i can't say if it works or not.

HTH

K.

• Thanks, it worked.

Bill

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply