Commvault for Enterprise Backup Solution

• We are currently using Litespeed and TSM and performing all of our SQL backups through SQL Agent jobs. Our organization is in the process of undergoing major infrastructure changes. One of those changes is to bring in Commvault for our enterprise backup solution.  We are being told that all of our backups will have to change to Commvault backups/snapshots. We are also being told that DBAs will not have full control in Commvault to manage our activities (mostly related to managing plans).

I'm seeing multiple problems as we try and figure this out and I'm hoping that someone in the forum can provide thoughts and useful advice. Is anyone else using Commvault as their enterprise backup solution? Any success or failure experiences related to Commvault implementations?

Thanks for any information.

• My answer to this is always the same. What are the Recovery Point Objectives (RPO) and Recovery Time Objectives (RTO) of the organization? With those defined, can you prove that Commvault can meet both the RPO and RTO in an objective test (no, not documented, assurances, anything like that, a full blown point in time restore that meets RPO & RTO)? If so, great. Let's put it to work. If not, no. Just no. Tooling is not the driving factor here. It is the RPO & RTO. If we can't do it, we can't do it. I'll die on that hill.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply